Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Process Activation service error

Hello

I ran into this error today. Its a tricky one and had me bugged for a while. When ever I went to start the IIS services it would return with this generic error,

Windows Process Activation service (WAS) could not start - Error 13.

I checked the event viewer logs and I had to go through 2 days worth of system logs and found this in the logs,

Windows Process Activation service (WAS) could not start - Error 13 The data is invalid.

It made me think there was something not right with the IIS Metabase and I started to look for changes made in IIS configurations.

While Looking at the IIS configuration files at c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\config specifically the applicationHost.config file I saw the size at 0 bytes. This was not correct on a live production server. So I went into the backup files for IIS which are created at c:\inetpub\history and saw the last backup file there and saw the size at 117 KB. IIS creates a backup of the applicationHost.config file in c:\inetpub\history. All you need to do is copy a good copy from the history and put it into c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\config folder.

Restart IIS and all services and errors should be resolved. Hope this helps.

The error was probably caused by an attempt to edit the IIS Metabase.

Regards,
    Ray.
Working...
X