Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to implement Active Directory.

Hello All,

I am planning to buy a new server and need to install active directory on it, Can anyone tell me what are the requirements to install it on windows 2008 R2 ?

Regards,
    Ivan_T

Re: Need to implement Active Directory.

Hello Ivan_T,

Please refer to the following requirements to install Active Directory on Windows 2008 R2 server:

1. An NTFS partition with sufficient disk space. Recommended: 60 GB or greater.
    2. Minimum RAM required is 512 MB. Recommended: 2 GB or greater.
    2. The Operating system: Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, Enterprise or Data Center Edition.
    3. Administrator's username and password.
    4. A NIC and properly configured network connections.
    5. The Active Directory domain controller should point to the IP address in the DNS server list.

Hope, this will help you and would suggest you to go for recommended requirements.

Regards,
    Mary K.

Comment

Hello Mary K,

Thanks for the information .

Can you please also tell me will RRAS service work on AD platform?
      I am planning to configure the active directory with RRAS service and want to create some users with restrict access.

I.e user A,B,C will just have the access of internet when the are connected with VPN .
      user X,Y,Z will just have the access of files and folders when they will connected with VPN.
      User A,B,C should not get the access of files and folders.
      user X,Y,Z should not get the access of internet

Is it possible to set this polices for the user's on AD platform ?

Regards,
      Ivan_T

Comment

Hell Ivan_T,

Thank you for the update.

It is recommended that never use a Domain Controller as any sort of router or remote access server.

Never even add a second network interface to a DC.

Regards,
        Mary K.

Comment

Hello Mary,

Many thanks for your suggestion, Appreciated !

So can you tell me if i buy a new plain server without configuring AD , will just configure the RRAS service on it and then is it possible to apply the polices which i have mentioned in previous reply ? IF yes then how ? .

Also can you tell me how to take a backup of active directory with exact steps as i am new to manage AD and want to take the backup as well, also if you can assist me with restoration steps will be appreciated again !

Regards,
          Ivan_T

Comment

Hi,

I got the settings for setting up my rras polices for the user's, this can be done in user properties using the option " Assign a static IPV4 address " in dial in tab, i have entered local ip address and it worked for me , now my user's are not able to access the internet when they logging with VPN.

Thanks ,

Comment

Originally posted by IVAN_T View Post
              Hello Mary,

Many thanks for your suggestion, Appreciated !

So can you tell me if i buy a new plain server without configuring AD , will just configure the RRAS service on it and then is it possible to apply the polices which i have mentioned in previous reply ? IF yes then how ? .

Also can you tell me how to take a backup of active directory with exact steps as i am new to manage AD and want to take the backup as well, also if you can assist me with restoration steps will be appreciated again !

Regards,
              Ivan_T

Hello Ivan_T,

The following steps will help you for Active Directory backup & restoration.

You will need to install the backup features from server manager for taking a backup of Active Directory

After installation of backup features, open command prompt and hit the below command to take AD backup

wbadmin start systemstatebackup -backuptarget:d:

You can select backup target as per your requirement

When backup task is finished, it should give a message backup completed successfully.

Further, reboot the server in Directory Services Restore mode for restoration of AD

Once you’re logged into your server in DSRM mode, open a command prompt and hit the below command to check the version which you need to use for restoration. Each backup has a Date & Timestamp.

wbadmin get versions

The command that you will use to perform the restoration depends on which restoration do you want to perform, authoritative or a non-authoritative.

If you wants to perform a non-authoritative restore, hit the following command

Wbadmin start systemstaterecovery -version:12/31/2012-04:00

use the same command to do an authoritative restoration, but append the authsysvol switch.

Wbadmin start systemstaterecovery -version:12/31/2012-04:00 -AUTHSYSVOL

You will have to boot the windows in normal mode when the recovery process completes.

Regards,
              Antonie J.

Comment

Working...
              X