Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loadbalancing + Failover Solution !

Hello Team,

My clients website requires a windows system I am looking out for a solution that will balance the load in future as the business grows and also work as failover solution. The website is no so big as of now (15 GB only) but in future it will be massive so need this kind of solution to start with, I believe we can further add servers in this cluster. I see that you do offer Windows VPS's with replica but that doesn't interest me, its too simple. We precisely need LB + Failover solution.

I was suggested a Private Cloud for this with 2 nodes (dedicated servers) and 1 windows Hyper V VPS for Active directory + SAN storage and this does sound good.

I am all set to go with this solution but before we move ahead my client has a few technical questions about this set up, below are the questions and I look forward to get answers here.

1. Hardware or software load balancing, how will it be achieved?
    2. Since the licenses are all Windows 2012 I assume Hyper-V will be the proposed Hypervisor?
    3. How are we achieving application redundancy? I assume through Active / Active load balancing.
    4. How are we achieving the database redundancy? SQL Server Express does not directly support clustering and the quote only mentions one SQ Server 2012 Express License not two.
    5. Are you planning on using Windows Failover Clustering? If so, itís a not an ideal solution as it doesnít support SQL Server Express.
    6. Or was the plan to use Hyper-V Replicas? If so, I understood this is primarily a disaster recovery provision rather than an failover cluster.
    7. What is the Active Directory server needed for? Are you planning on implementing LDAP integration for authentication into the website / content management system?

-------------

I await your response ..

Re: Loadbalancing + Failover Solution !

1. Hardware or software load balancing, how will it be achieved?
    If you are tight on budget then you can go with HAProxy, as hardware load balancers would be expensive. Though, comparing software load balancing to hardware load balancing is very much similar to comparing Software RAID and Hardware RAID. If you wish to have premium solution then obviously it will cost you. Remember you get what you pay for.

3. How are we achieving application redundancy? I assume through Active / Active load balancing.
    Active Directory itself has load balancing techniques built into it. Windows client knows how to trace the redundant domain controllers in its own site and also knows how to use another one in case first one is unavailable.

4. How are we achieving the database redundancy? SQL Server Express does not directly support clustering and the quote only mentions one SQ Server 2012 Express License not two.

5. Are you planning on using Windows Failover Clustering? If so, it’s a not an ideal solution as it doesn’t support SQL Server Express.

6. Or was the plan to use Hyper-V Replicas? If so, I understood this is primarily a disaster recovery provision rather than an failover cluster.
    As far as I know there is no standard setup for SQL load balancing that you can run through a wizard. It would be architecture of database and implementation at the database level and not the server level.

• However, you can use some techniques, such as:
    • Joining the database servers
    • Partitioning
    • Or Database replication

One question I would like to ask you here specifically - what kind of load do you expect?

Comment

One thing I forget to mention for your 3rd inquest,
      i.e. How are we achieving application redundancy? I assume through Active / Active load balancing.
      You can use DFS – distributed file system along with 2 different servers, which will have the application data in sync.

Comment

Thanks for your time and efforts
        A proposal to the same has been provided by your tech expert on call and hopefully we should be up soon.

Thanks again, your response is very much appreciated

Comment

It‘s nice to see that you find an explanation provided by me helpful. Note I am just a normal forum member at eUKhost, not associated with the company.

Comment

ban-img
          Working...
          X