Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Change MSSQL 'SA' password

Hi,

SA login is the administrative login for the MSSQL.. To Change the MSSQL SA password you have to execute following commands from command prompt of your server:

1) Go to the command prompt of the server & type in command prompt osql -L
    This command will list all the MSSQL servers near you.

2) Copy full name of required MSSQL server & type
    osql -S copied_servername -E
    By this command you'll connect to MSSQL server using administrator account.
    3) To change sa password you should execute the following query:
    sp_password NULL,'new_password','sa'
    go
    Now try to login to MSSQL using new password..

Rock _a.k.a._ Jack Daniel

Follow eUKhost on Twitter || Join eUKhost Community on Facebook

Change MSSQL 'SA' password

Hello,

Many people are bored of the old black screen (command prompt). I like the way its done through a Graphical Interface.

To change the password on the 'sa' account from the graphical interfaces of MSSQL Server 7.0 and 2000 on both Windows NT 4.0 and 2000:
    1. Open the "SQL Server Enterprise Manager". This is usually under "Start"-->"Programs"-->"Microsoft SQL Server".

2. Navigate to the "Logins" object under the "Security" folder on the SQL Server you wish to administer. Then, right click on the 'sa' account and select "Properties".

3. Now, enter a new password in the "Password" field under the "Authentication" options.
    Thats it !
    Rock _a.k.a._ Jack Daniel

Follow eUKhost on Twitter || Join eUKhost Community on Facebook

Comment

The most direct, efficient and fastest way to reset SA password is to take use of the third part utility - MS SQL Server Password Unlocker. Just two steps to change the lost sa password

Comment

Originally posted by happykaka View Post
        The most direct, efficient and fastest way to reset SA password is to take use of the third part utility - MS SQL Server Password Unlocker. Just two steps to change the lost sa password
        Hi,
        1. Is there a price to be paid for this third party utility - MS SQL Server Password Unlocker? Is it a one time charge or recurring?
        2. Where can I get the information for this Password Unlocker?
        Best Regards,

Bryan Oscar
        eUKhost - Web Hosting Solutions...!
        http://www.eUKhost.com
        Email : bryan [@] eUKhost.com
        MSN : bryan [@] eUKhost.com
        Toll Free : || Sales : 0808 262 0255 || Support : 0808 262 0455 || International : +44-1916-454-EUK

"All I know is that a customer I lose is a customer my competitors win ..!"
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

thanks for the information.
          Seo India

Comment

Last time I forgot my password and tried everything i could do but failed, until I found this great tool Password Genius. It works great, and you can google it.you can try to google it.

Comment

Hello

I would not recommend using any third party tools to do this. You have an MS GUI to help you do this. In case you forget your SA password. You always can login using windows authentication and reset the password in SQL management studio. All SQl installs are now installed in mixed mode with both SQL and Windows authentication.

Thanks,
              Ray

Comment

Hello,

As suggested by Raymond, MSSQL have its own database management tool called as "MSSQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)".
                Here are steps to reset SA password using SSMS :

1] Open SSMS management console, it will prompt for authentication details,

Select Server Type : "Database Engine",
                Server name : IP / hostname of your MSSQL server
                Authentication : Windows Authentication

Once you select Authentication type as "Windows Authentication", the user name and password fields will be grayed out and it will allow you to login SQL server without entering login details.
                Windows Authentication is possible only when you are logged on same server in RDP on which SQL service is present.

2] once you are in, under "Object Explorer" expand Security and then Logins
                3] locate and right click on user SA and select Properties
                4] under General section enter desired password in front of "Password:" and "Confirm Password:"
                5] hit OK at bottom.

This is the easiest and secure way to reset SA password instead of using any third party non secure tools

Gabriel S
                ||
                ||
                MSN: gabriel @ eukhost.com || SKYPE: Gabriel.Sandler

Comment

reset sa password

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
                  Hi,
                  1. Is there a price to be paid for this third party utility - MS SQL Server Password Unlocker? Is it a one time charge or recurring?
                  2. Where can I get the information for this Password Unlocker?
                  I'm sorry for the late reply.
                  You can download and try this MS SQL Server Password Unlocker from :
                  http://www.passwordunlocker.com/sql-server-password-recovery.html to reset your lost sa sql server password efficiently!

Comment

In order to chanhge the mssql sa password, open the command prompt windows in the the computer that is hosting the instance of MSDE to which you are connecting.
                    Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

osql -U sa

At the Password: prompt, press ENTER if your password is blank or type the current password. This connects you to the local, default instance of MSDE by using the sa account. To connect by using Windows authentication, type this command: use osql -E

Note If you are using SQL server 2005 Express, avoid using the Osql utility, and plan to modify applications that currently use the Osql feature. Use the Sqlcmd utility instead.
                    Type the following commands, on separate lines, and then press ENTER:
                    sp_password @old = null, @new = 'complexpwd', @loginame ='sa' go
                    Note Make sure that you replace "complexpwd" with the new strong password. A strong password includes alpha-numeric and special characters, and a combination of upper and lower case characters.

You will receive the following informational message, which indicates that your password was changed successfully:

Password changed.

Comment

Hey, why not you checkout this article where they have mentioned some amazing solutions to restore your password.
                      This article would surely help you out:
                      Looking for password recovery softwares? Then checkout this blog Best Password Recovery Tools where I have mentioned some freewares and some paid ones too

Comment

It is easy to change your password using SSMS management console.
                        Try it.

Comment

ban-img
                        Working...
                        X