Running WordPress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running WordPress

Hello! I've currently got a blog hosted on blogger.com and am finding it far too limiting. I want to migrate it to WordPress and run the domain on my *Windows* reseller account which I've had for a couple of years.

I've researched running WordPress on Windows/PHP/MySQL and it should work fine but there are two things I'm not sure of:

1) The WordPress requirements says "It is also essential that your host allows remote connections, for many of the WordPress features to work. If your host blocks outgoing HTTP connections, many parts of the WordPress will not function."

Can anyone confirm the situation with eukhost?

2) I will need some form of URL rewriting that works with PHP.

Does EUKHost support isapi_rewrite? I thought they did. Or could I possibly use the IIS Rewrite Module? What are my options for my Windows environment?

Thanks.

Till the time you get an official reply, I would suggest you to take a look at the following threads about the topic:

http://www.eukhost.com/forums/f41/is...te-help-11735/
    https://www.eukhost.com/forums/f32/u...r-server-2725/

I hope you get the answer to your questions there

Comment

Thanks - sounds like ISAPI_rewrite had a bumpy ride getting installed but it seems eukhost support it now for the windows reseller account.

Comment

Originally posted by Binary View Post
        Thanks - sounds like ISAPI_rewrite had a bumpy ride getting installed but it seems eukhost support it now for the windows reseller account.
        Yes, we do have ISAPI_Rewrite module installed on all of our shared hosting servers..
        Rock _a.k.a._ Jack Daniel

Follow eUKhost on Twitter || Join eUKhost Community on Facebook

Comment

Quick update!

WordPress installed and blog is being served up, I am very impressed at how good the system is. Works a treat under my windows hosting except for one big problem.

The options in wordpress to install themes and plugins is failing, and it can't connect using FTP. So it's not my FTP access that's not working, but WordPress FTP itself on the server.

It sounds like exactly this issue, and a fix is given at the very bottom of the thread, but the trouble is, it's for Linux! Is there a Windows equivalent Rock? I think it's to do with what I said at the start of this thread about WordPress needing outgoing connections

Comment

Sorry folks - something else! Do I need to request ISAPI_Rewrite is turned on for my domain? If so could it be turned on please? I have a .htaccess file sitting there in the root but don't think rewriting is working.

My domain is not accessible via a browser at the moment because the DNS points somewhere else but it's Blitter and twisted on Liverpool.

I am using a local hosts file entry to test the site.

Comment

Originally posted by Binary View Post
              Sorry folks - something else! Do I need to request ISAPI_Rewrite is turned on for my domain? If so could it be turned on please? I have a .htaccess file sitting there in the root but don't think rewriting is working.

My domain is not accessible via a browser at the moment because the DNS points somewhere else but it's Blitter and twisted on Liverpool.

I am using a local hosts file entry to test the site.
              Hi,

ISAPI_Rewrite is turned on by default on all the domains.

I have checked your domain, and your Rule has been picked up by ISAPI

So it doesn't seems to be an issue with the working of ISAPI Filter. I would suggest that you contact your developer and check the code.

Also for support related issues you can Raise a Support ticket or Initiate a Live Chat.

We are available 24x7 over there and would be glad to help you out
              Chris White
              (Former eUK Employee)

UK's premier web hosting company.

Comment

Thanks and yes I should have raised the ISAPI_rewrite issue via support.

Maybe the problem is the version installed is different to the httpd.ini file I'm using.

Is it ISAPI_rewrite v3?

Comment

Yes, The ISAPI rewrite rule version installed on our shared server is V3
                  Chris White
                  (Former eUK Employee)

Comment

I couldn't get ISAPI_Rewrite working in the end. But found a workaround - set WordPress' index.php as the 404 document in custom errors. The Plesk control panel wouldn't let me do it at first when I chose file, but if I changed the dropdown to URL it worked.

This has got my URL rewriting working sweet! And my server is only IIS 6.

Thankfully eukhost make it possible to set a custom error document, if it weren't for that I think it would have been bad news all round for getting WordPress running on my environment.

Comment

Glad to hear that!

Please let us know if we can help you more.
                      Chris White
                      (Former eUK Employee)

Comment

Working...
                      X