Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to using exec?

Hi,

I'm using PHP on a Windows server and notice that exec() is banned. What is the alternative to using exec()?

It seems that lots of functions are withdrawn for 'security reasons' in the end it will make it pointless running dynamic code!

-Steve

Re: Alternative to using exec?

Hi Steve,

The exec() function is disabled on our shared and reseller servers. We wish we could have certain PHP functions enabled but it will be open to abuse. I'm not entirely what alternative functions there are because we disable exec(), shell_exec() and system() functions for security reasons. What external program do you need to execute within your PHP application?

Kind regards,

Ben Stones.
    Find us on Twitter and Facebook

Need to contact us?
    Customer Support: Client Area - 0800 862 0380 (option 2)
    Customer Relations: [email protected] - 0800 862 0380 (option 3)
    Sales: [email protected] - 0800 862 0380 (option 1)

The opinions or views expressed above are not necessarily the opinions or views of eUKhost Ltd.

Comment

Hi, I'm doing some r&d looking at uploading a PDF file and generating a thumbnail image of the first page of the PDF on the fly using ImageMagick. Plan B would be to upload the PDF and thumbnail jpg as separate files, which is looking likely now :-/

Comment

Sorry there is no alternate to exec(). Most of the hosting providers have disabled this function and few others to execute external program

Comment

ban-img
        Working...
        X