Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A solution to one of my problems...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A solution to one of my problems...

    After much emailing of support I have finaly managed to find the solution to one of the problems left after last weeks windows server meltdown, without their help.

    I was blindly browsing around my "httpdocs" folder with my head in my hands, wondering why nobody could fix the fact that some of the applications installed on my subdomains give erors and nolonger work, when I discovered a few new folders that were exact replicas of the ones contained within my "subdomains" folder.

    I thought this was a bit odd (why were they there?) so I opened up the new version of plesk and started rooting around my subdomain preferences. Here I found that in fact the data for each of the subdomains is now stored within the "httpdocs" folder instead of the old "subdomains" folder.

    A quick flurry of config file editing and wayhey, all the applications now work again!

    If only somebody could have informed me that the new version of Plesk now stores the subdomains within the "httpdocs" folder, and that when the subdomains had been restored the data had been restored to these new locations within my Dedicated Server space. So all I would need to do was edit the config files accordingly and things would be back on track. I could have saved a lot of frustrated emailing to the support department.

    Well anyways, its all sorted now (or nearly, just a few more little things to get working), so I thought I'd post my solution here, in case anybody else is having the same problem
    Last edited by daledavies; 20-11-2006, 21:18.

    Act honestly, and answer boldly

    Abundance is from activity
    Starting the work is two thirds of it

  • #2
    Hmmm.

    I am not sure how anyone from our support team could not figure out this configuration change. Probably your ticket was answered when we had more than 100 tickets sitting in the support queue and guys could not give sufficient time to it.

    Things look much better when you have 10 - 20 tickets on the help desk. Hopefully this would never happen again as all our senior staff members have understood importance of restorative backups and we wont need to restore 300 accounts manually in future.
    eUKhost - eNlight Cloud Hosting || eUKhost Knowledgebase
    Toll Free : 0808 262 0255 || Skype : mark_ducadi

    Comment


    • #3
      Well, lets hope that was the case.

      Im still a bit reluctant to go fiddling in case I end up making things worse, or just confuse the support people when they pick up my ticket and things are different from what I described.

      Tommorrow morning Im going to have to email them to say Ive fixed it, but if they go there before I do and see it working they are just going to think Im dumb!

      There are still a few things that dont work and I dont want them to think Im blagging them or somthing.

      Act honestly, and answer boldly

      Abundance is from activity
      Starting the work is two thirds of it

      Comment


      • #4
        Its good to see that you are sorting your problems on your own. At least you have managed to improve your technical knowledge as others wont do that in such situation.

        You never know when this knowledge would come to your rescue.
        eUKhost - eNlight Cloud Hosting || eUKhost Knowledgebase
        Toll Free : 0808 262 0255 || Skype : mark_ducadi

        Comment


        • #5
          True, a problem solved is a lesson learned, or whatever the saying is. (is that a saying?)

          Act honestly, and answer boldly

          Abundance is from activity
          Starting the work is two thirds of it

          Comment


          • #6
            Well with renewed confidence I decided to have a go at fixing the last remaining problem with my account and to my supprise I was again successful.

            Now the fact that this had not been been resolved by tech support is not entirely their fault, as it was not a problem with the server or with its configuration. Simply this problem lies with my particular php application and the fact that PHP4 was replaced with PHP5 last week, shortly after the OS reinstall on the Windows server.

            So anyways as I posted the solution to my last problem I thought I would post this one too, in case anyone else is suffering with the same problem...

            One of the applications I use is a PHP banner management system called PHPAdsNew. Its been very good so far and seems to be a very stable piece of software, however after the PHP upgrade it stopped working completely. If this had not happened when I was still having trouble accessing my website hostings during the server problems at the start of last week, then I would have probably just have realised this must be related to the PHP upgrade. But to cut a long story short, I just assumed it was related to my data being restored incorrectly.

            Anyways, yesterday I decided that it was going to take ages for support to work out why PHPAdsNew (PAN) wasnt functioning, so I spent some time looking for the solution myself.

            I tried a couple of things found on the PAN forums and it turns out that to get PAN working on PHP5, you must have "register_long_arrays" set to "ON" in the "php.ini".

            The support dept were only to happy to sort this out for me and as soon as they did, PHPAdsNew started working again!

            Now Im sorted, everything is back to normal (as far as I know) and I can get back to work again
            Last edited by daledavies; 21-11-2006, 18:57.

            Act honestly, and answer boldly

            Abundance is from activity
            Starting the work is two thirds of it

            Comment

            Working...
            X