SmarterMail Spam filter marks all incoming mail as spam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SmarterMail Spam filter marks all incoming mail as spam

I haven't touched any settings on my domains for months. I have 3 mail domains under my account.

The Spam filter domain setting was left at default for the domains (mark in subject SPAM-LOW etc... ).

It's been set at that for years. Most mail I receive is not spam, so naturally it's not marked as such, or wasn't until 2 days ago.

2 days ago, all incoming mail started to get marked as spam. Quite a few SPAM-HIGHs as well as SPAM-LOW and SPAM-MED. This happens on all my domains and, to repeat, I have not changed anything on any of my mail domains recently.

I've tried 2 Live Chats, and submitted a ticket to support, but I can't seem to get across the fact that 2 days ago all my incoming mail on 3 domains suddenly started to be considered spam.

I'm told that the server spam setting is set to low, and that my smartemail spam filter is set to default (which I already knew), but so far nobody at eukhost seems to appreciate that having all my mail marked as spam is anything other than to with my settings. Which, of course, I've not changed. The lowest total spam score I get in any email is 16.

Is anybody else suffering the same issue?

As usual, ime, wicth eukhost one has to keep repeating the issue over and over agin before somebody remembers that something was changed at their end!

Thanks

Re: SmarterMail Spam filter marks all incoming mail as spam

Originally posted by Nige View Post
    I haven't touched any settings on my domains for months. I have 3 mail domains under my account.

The Spam filter domain setting was left at default for the domains (mark in subject SPAM-LOW etc... ).

It's been set at that for years. Most mail I receive is not spam, so naturally it's not marked as such, or wasn't until 2 days ago.

2 days ago, all incoming mail started to get marked as spam. Quite a few SPAM-HIGHs as well as SPAM-LOW and SPAM-MED. This happens on all my domains and, to repeat, I have not changed anything on any of my mail domains recently.

I've tried 2 Live Chats, and submitted a ticket to support, but I can't seem to get across the fact that 2 days ago all my incoming mail on 3 domains suddenly started to be considered spam.

I'm told that the server spam setting is set to low, and that my smartemail spam filter is set to default (which I already knew), but so far nobody at eukhost seems to appreciate that having all my mail marked as spam is anything other than to with my settings. Which, of course, I've not changed. The lowest total spam score I get in any email is 16.

Is anybody else suffering the same issue?

As usual, ime, wicth eukhost one has to keep repeating the issue over and over agin before somebody remembers that something was changed at their end!

Thanks
    Hi Nigel, this issue is being dealt in NKP-356-85494 & will be responded soon with our findings. A senior Windows technician will reply ASAP.
    Rock _a.k.a._ Jack Daniel

Follow eUKhost on Twitter || Join eUKhost Community on Facebook

Comment

Thanks Rock!
      I'm glad we've progressed!

Comment

Thanks Rock!
        I'm glad we've progressed!
        You're welcome. We're still working on the mail server configurations as I type.

Comment

Thanks.
          I did get a response to my ticket this morning, and the issue seemed to have been resolved then, but is back again.

However, I know from experience that once eukhost get the right people on the job and they get their teeth into a problem then it will be fixed in due course. Glad to hear you're on the case!

Comment

Rock,
            Please could you update 1st level support on the issue and what you're doing to resolve the issue?

I'd like the ticket to stay open until the issue is properly resolved (and turning off domain spam filtering completely isn't going to fix it!).

Thanks
            Nigel

Comment

Thanks.
              I did get a response to my ticket this morning, and the issue seemed to have been resolved then, but is back again.

However, I know from experience that once eukhost get the right people on the job and they get their teeth into a problem then it will be fixed in due course. Glad to hear you're on the case!
              Rock,
              Please could you update 1st level support on the issue and what you're doing to resolve the issue?

I'd like the ticket to stay open until the issue is properly resolved (and turning off domain spam filtering completely isn't going to fix it!).

Thanks
              Nigel
              Hi Nigel,

Yes, we did change a few settings now in regards to the Spamassassin filters & hence Arnold asked you to come on live chat, so that we verify the working in real time rather than replying to emails & here. Please can do you confirm if the changes we've done recently are up to the mark & are working as expected, if not, I'd request you to open up a chat & we'll together get this sorted out once & for all.

Comment

Jack,
                Thanks.
                Obviously, setting the spam filtering to 'no action' will stop the marking of email as spam, but there is something wrong with the default spam weights - which I've had set for years with no problems, until earlier this week.
                The issue still persists if I set the spam filter back to the setting I've always had on my domains (the setting marked 'default'), but I've done some testing and discovered which of the spam detection settings are causing the problem. I still believe it's a server issue, but at
                least if you can't determine what's chamged recently to cause this to happen, then I can tweak my settings so that I have some spam protection without just turning it all off.
                I'll go onto Live Chat shortly to discuss in more detail.

Comment

Hello Nigel,

Kindly accept our sincere apologies as the default spam filter settings got mistakenly changed, which resulted in your genuine emails getting flagged as SPAMs.
                  The changes have now been reverted to primary settings.
                  Kindly check and do let us know if you are still facing the issue, we'll be glad to assist you.

--
                  Regards,
                  euksud

Comment

Thanks very much! I'm keeping an eye on things, but all looks good at the moment.
                    Thanks for the Live Chat Support last night - I knew we'd get there in the end!

I know I have a go at eukhost now and again, out of frustration, but I really do appreciate the personal level of support that youi provide and your tenacity in getting to a resolution.

Comment

Thanks very much! I'm keeping an eye on things, but all looks good at the moment.
                      Thanks for the Live Chat Support last night - I knew we'd get there in the end!

I know I have a go at eukhost now and again, out of frustration, but I really do appreciate the personal level of support that youi provide and your tenacity in getting to a resolution.
                      You're most welcome Nigel & Thank You too for the kind words of appreciation.. I'm happy that this is sorted out now.

Comment

Here we go again.
                        Same issue.
                        Server spam settings have been changed again.
                        There may be some very good reason for this, but why doesn't eukhost ever tell its customers that it's changing things?
                        Whey wait until important emails are lost?

Ticket submitted, but I give up - I've manually adjusted the spam weights that were added again on all my mail domains to resolve the issue, because there's no guarantee that eukhost won't just come along and change the server settings again in the future. Eukhost doesn't seem to learn from its mistakes, but repeats them continuously.

Not yet had a reply to the ticket, but odds-on support will just turn off spam filtering completely and say "fixed". - Like last time.

And the supreme irony is that blatantly obvious spam still gets through, but multiple white-listed legitimate email gets a weighting of 42 when these settings are on.

Comment

LOL
                          Reply to ticket: 'We haven't changed anything on the server'.
                          I'm not about to recreate GroundHog Day and go over the exact same process as I did in June. My domains' spam settings are now custom, not based on the (newly changed) server settings, so I'm not going to waste any more of my time following the usual eukhost tortuous escalation process.
                          If anyone else has the same issue (extremely strict spam filtering) , then it may be useful to point eukhost to this thread. They will, eventually, acknowledge that someone changed the spam filter settings in the server, and probably promise you that it won't happen again....

Comment

LOL
                            Reply to ticket: 'We haven't changed anything on the server'.
                            I'm not about to recreate GroundHog Day and go over the exact same process as I did in June. My domains' spam settings are now custom, not based on the (newly changed) server settings, so I'm not going to waste any more of my time following the usual eukhost tortuous escalation process.
                            If anyone else has the same issue (extremely strict spam filtering) , then it may be useful to point eukhost to this thread. They will, eventually, acknowledge that someone changed the spam filter settings in the server, and probably promise you that it won't happen again....
                            Hello Nigel,

Our Senior Administrators are already investigating with on issue reported by you. Once this has been resolved we will update you on ticket.

Meanwhile your patience would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
                            Henry Davidson
                            Support department.

Comment

Here we go again.

With depressing regularity, the same issue raises its head again. Third or Fourth time this has happned this year so far.
                              How patient do you want me to be?
                              I solved the problem in November by creating my own custom spam weightings and... they've been trampled all over and reset to the values that cause all my incoming mail to be flagged with ridiculously high spam weights. BUT eukhost have seen fit to override them AGAIN.

Where do I go from here? The default server settings are subject to being changed without notice, so I use custom settings to prevent this, but then my custom settings are blithely overwritten without notice or any warning by eukhost.

I've been with Eukhost for years, but I'm getting really, really, sick of the apparent lack of technical expertise that's on offer. And you never seem to learn from your mistakes or make any progress in addressing issues that come up over and over again.

Yet another ticket on this issue submitted, but I expect to get the same nonsensical initial response as every other time, and then the tedious process of having to explain the issue to people who don't seem to understand your own set-up.

[Edit]
                              Here's the spam header from an email I received from a well-known company yesterday (21st December):

X-SmarterMail-Spam: SPF_Pass, HostKarma - Whitelist, ISpamAssassin 0 [raw: 0], DK_None, DKIM_Pass, Custom Rules [Spamm Filter:60]
                              X-SmarterMail-TotalSpamWeight: 52

This was marked as SPAM-HIGH. I receive regular emails from this company, usually the TotalSpamWeight is -8.

As you can see, the entry "Custom Rules" is applying a weight of 60 due to "Spamm Filter". This is giving the previously ok emails a total spam weight of 52.

Since I didn't create a custom rule called Spamm filter (if I did, I would spell the word spam correctly), then who did, and why?

I have (again) reverted my custom weights back to what I set when this issue arouse in November, but what is happening that is flagging everything as "spam"?
                              Last edited by Nige; 22-12-2013, 13:47.

Comment

Working...
                              X