Long domain names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long domain names

It is recommended to create a short and easy to remember domain name, but I notice that time by time people still register long domain names (consisting of more than three words). Why? I don't believe they are not aware of that recommendation.

Short and easy to remember domain names are certainly ideal. However, there are valid reasons for choosing longer names. If one has an existing business, it might be advisable to register a domain name matching the name of their business. The reasoning would be that many of their customers looking for them on the web would likely type in that name as the address.

Comment

It may be due to the unavailability of a suitable domain name or they might be wanting to get benefits from the search engines by using domain names that contain keywords.

Comment

Now that more domains than ever are registered people are having to look at increasingly longer domains or shorter obscure ones just to be able to register a domain to get their website up and running.
        David Smith
        Managing Director
        DPS Computing Limited

- Massive update! (September 2011) - It's now not neglected!!
        - New Site (10/2009)

Comment

Yes, shorter names are ideal, but I find that if someone uses a longer domain names just for the purposes of people finding it easier (like their own full name or the name of their business) then it is just as good as using a short name if not better. Plus, it is usually more likely to be available.

Comment

Longer domain names can be easier to remember, but they need to be very descriptive to justify having a longer one. Sometimes shorter names are too cute if you know what I mean. They might be clever, but also harder to remember. A shorter domain name doesn't necessarily mean it's easy to remember.

Comment

Too long domain names can be hard to remember, but too short domain names wouldn't be easy to remember either. You know, it's hard to remember a domain name consisting on one common word.

Comment

A key aspect to consider is how you will be getting your traffic. If you plan to market your website exclusively online, your website will be in link form most of the time. That makes having any easily remembered domain name of less importance.

Comment

You can select one of the newer TLDs that offer more choice in the main part of your domain name. Some of them might even be easier to remember because they end with something different than the usual dot com.

Comment

I find long domain names good for establishing mini-sites, or side-blogs. Get the best domain you can for the main website and then start building links to it, by establishing other mini-sites with the long domains. Obviously, these domain names need to contain the wanted keyphrases.

Comment

Working...
                    X