addon domains vs subdomains

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• addon domains vs subdomains

What is the difference between an addon domain and a subdomain? In terms of the website URL, aren't they both located directly to the left of the second level domain?

An addon domain is a completely separate domain and, therefore, a separate website. A sub-domain is part of another website. It might differ among web hosts, but if you have an account for multiple domains, the addon domains are sometimes set up in your control panel as subdomains. Aside from how they are hosted, each addon domain is completely separate from any of your other domain names.

Comment

Any domain hosted on the Shared hosting plan except the Primary domain is an Addon domain. Addon domains are individual domains with their own existence. For example, if the primary domain of your shared hosting plan is yourdomain[.]com, all the other domains hosted on the shared hosting plan are Addon domains.

Subdomain is a part of the main domain name. For example, if yourdomain[.]com is your domain, yourdomain[.]com/forums or blog[.]yourdomain[.]com is the subdomain.

Comment

Making a blog for your website a subdomain as in Catherine's example makes perfect sense. Some subdomains, I have noticed, are used to create separate categories for a website. Is there a limit to the number of subdomains a website can have?

Comment

A simple way to make is simpler with understanding the difference is by considering an example of Eukhost itself.

Main Domain : eukhost.com
          Sub-Domain : blog.eukhost.com (Blog)
          Sub-Folders : eukhost.com/forums (Forum)
          Sub-Folders : eukhost.com/web-hosting/kb/ (Knowledgebase)

Now if they intend to host any other domain under the primary domain ie. eukhost.com on the same server, it would considered as an add-on domain.

Hope this helps with clearing the confusion.

Comment

Subdomains seem like a very good way of expanding your site without having to start over with a new site. I've noticed that many of the large sites have subdomains, although I suppose any size website could add subdomains.

Comment

Originally posted by BizzyBlythe View Post
              Subdomains seem like a very good way of expanding your site without having to start over with a new site. I've noticed that many of the large sites have subdomains, although I suppose any size website could add subdomains.
              That's correct, any website no matter how big or small it is, can create sub-domains, we've set no restrictions on the number of such domains that can be created under an existing web hosting account.

If you are not familiar with creating sub-domains, kindly visit our tutorials section to get an indepth knowledge :

If you still cannot figure it out, you may please initiate a chat and seek assistance from our 24x7 support department.
              | |
              Best Paying offered by Eukhost Ltd.

Comment

One of the primary benefits I see in creating subdomains instead of addon domains is the ability to link. You can link from any subdomain to another and vice versa. However, if you have addon domains, and thus separate sites, I have read that you can incur a search engine penalty if there is a certain amount of reciprocal linking among your various domains.

Comment

Working...
                X