which domains are best investments?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which domains are best investments?

Which of the newer TLDs (top level domains) are likely to resonate in terms of people associating the TLD to the web as the dot coms are today? In other words, which TLDs are more likely to become "the next best thing to a dot com" versus fade into obscurity?

The dot biz and the dot me seem to have potential. Both have a lot of personality, you might say, and I can see them catching on. The .info is not one I'd want. It seems to be associated with low quality content sites. For websites that are product or business oriented, the dot biz seems like a good investment to me.

Comment

I think the dot com is irreplaceable at least for the next ten years. Anyway, dot co seems to be the next big thing and it has the potential to gain popularity.

Comment

Having a popular TLD might not always be best. If you have a TLD that is a little more unusual, perhaps that helps your domain name stand out. As long as it's easy to remember, it might even be better to have a domain name that doesn't have one of the usual suffixes.

Comment

From SEO perspective, best one is .com and then there comes a lot of empthy space and then other like .org, .net and so on. I think exact match domain names are the best ones.

Comment

No doubt the .com domain remains at the top of the TLDs chart which is further sorted by the .net, .org / .eu / .us ( If European or US based ) and finally the .co tlds.

Comment

I think the .co domain TLD will be the next big thing. Not only it's the most similar to .com domain TLD but it's also a new domain TLD so more domains will be available.

Comment

The TLD isn't always the most important things. A short, easy to remember, catchy url is the main thing .
                David Smith
                Managing Director
                DPS Computing Limited

- Massive update! (September 2011) - It's now not neglected!!
                - New Site (10/2009)

Comment

I believe that most of the small catchy domain names have already been registered by people. Now, its very hard to find out such catchy domain names. Since it has been seen that people are using more long-tail keywords to get the most relevant search results, IMO, one should invest in a long tail keyword rich domain name.

Comment

Originally posted by petey View Post
                    I believe that most of the small catchy domain names have already been registered by people. Now, its very hard to find out such catchy domain names. Since it has been seen that people are using more long-tail keywords to get the most relevant search results, IMO, one should invest in a long tail keyword rich domain name.
                    There is no problem is registering long tail keywords but if the domains are too long, the chances of getting a good amount of money for those domains are minimum. Most of the website owners prefer short and catchy domains due to which these sort of domains give a good return.

Comment

Originally posted by petey View Post
                      Not necessarily.

I think some of the following might be available:

frugalcheese.com
                      muminadrum.com
                      faceonchips.com
                      canihaveabitofketchupwiththat.com (ok maybe thats a bit long)
                      onetwothreeoclock.com

lol.

You'll have to chat to Ben, one of the eUK staff members. I'm not exactly sure when he registered it but he got Ben Stones' Personal Tech Blog on Windows, Mac OS X and Software and I really like that domain in the context it is in. You'll have to double check when he registered it.

I think the main point is that you're not going to get yourcompany.com a lot of the time but thats why you've got to be creative - look at the likes of moonpig.com and funkypigeon .com - hopefully by looking at these domains you understand what I mean by my examples above!!

The good names are still out there - you just have to find them. And don't forget, paying attention to domains that are left to expire is a good way to pick up sought after domain names .
                      David Smith
                      Managing Director
                      DPS Computing Limited

- Massive update! (September 2011) - It's now not neglected!!
                      - New Site (10/2009)

Comment

.biz are very popular and I think more and more webmasters will get them. Also, .tv is becoming popular, thanks to online television. Not to mention that most of us watch TV shows online etc. And not to forget .xxx, one great tld which can brings lots of bucks.

Comment

Working...
                        X