What is a Top-Level Domain?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    What is a Top-Level Domain?

    Hey,

    I am a bit confused about the Top-level Domain names. Can anyone explain to me about the Top-level Domain? Does the top-level domain mean the most commonly used domain names on the web?

    #2
    Hello,

    A top-level domain (TLD) is the part of a domain that comes after the dot, for example, com, org, or net.

    TLDs are split into two types:
    • Generic top-level domains (gTLD) - Virtually all domains which aren't related to a country. Most domain extensions are com, org, and net. All of the gTLDs fall beneath ICANN's policies.
    • Country-code top domains (ccTLD) - All domains which are identified with a country or geographical place, for instance, UK, NL, or DK. A ccTLD constantly consists of 2 letters

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Clara Smith View Post
      Hey,

      I am a bit confused about the Top-level Domain names. Can anyone explain to me about the Top-level Domain? Does the top-level domain mean the most commonly used domain names on the web?
      Here I have listed some of the top level domains:
      • .org - Organization
      • .com - Commercial
      • .gov - Government
      • .net - Network
      • .info - Informational
      • .edu - educational

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Hallie Russell View Post
        Hello,

        A top-level domain (TLD) is the part of a domain that comes after the dot, for example, com, org, or net.

        TLDs are split into two types:
        • Generic top-level domains (gTLD) - Virtually all domains which aren't related to a country. Most domain extensions are com, org, and net. All of the gTLDs fall beneath ICANN's policies.
        • Country-code top domains (ccTLD) - All domains which are identified with a country or geographical place, for instance, UK, NL, or DK. A ccTLD constantly consists of 2 letters
        Yes, Hallie I have searched a lot about top level TLDs. Most preferable TLD is .com.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Hallie Russell View Post
          Hello,

          A top-level domain (TLD) is the part of a domain that comes after the dot, for example, com, org, or net.

          TLDs are split into two types:
          • Generic top-level domains (gTLD) - Virtually all domains which aren't related to a country. Most domain extensions are com, org, and net. All of the gTLDs fall beneath ICANN's policies.
          • Country-code top domains (ccTLD) - All domains which are identified with a country or geographical place, for instance, UK, NL, or DK. A ccTLD constantly consists of 2 letters
          Hello Hallie, you have shared such a nice and beneficial information about TLDs.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Emma Peterson View Post

            Here I have listed some of the top level domains:
            • .org - Organization
            • .com - Commercial
            • .gov - Government
            • .net - Network
            • .info - Informational
            • .edu - educational
            Yes, these are top-level (TLD) domain names. .com is the most preferable domain name extension. Global level business mostly use .com TLD.

            Comment

            Working...
            X