Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is a Top-Level Domain?

Hey,

I am a bit confused about the Top-level Domain names. Can anyone explain to me about the Top-level Domain? Does the top-level domain mean the most commonly used domain names on the web?

Hello,

A top-level domain (TLD) is the part of a domain that comes after the dot, for example, com, org, or net.

TLDs are split into two types:
    • Generic top-level domains (gTLD) - Virtually all domains which aren't related to a country. Most domain extensions are com, org, and net. All of the gTLDs fall beneath ICANN's policies.
    • Country-code top domains (ccTLD) - All domains which are identified with a country or geographical place, for instance, UK, NL, or DK. A ccTLD constantly consists of 2 letters

Comment

Originally posted by Clara Smith View Post
      Hey,

I am a bit confused about the Top-level Domain names. Can anyone explain to me about the Top-level Domain? Does the top-level domain mean the most commonly used domain names on the web?
      Here I have listed some of the top level domains:
      • .org - Organization
      • .com - Commercial
      • .gov - Government
      • .net - Network
      • .info - Informational
      • .edu - educational

Comment

Originally posted by Hallie Russell View Post
        Hello,

A top-level domain (TLD) is the part of a domain that comes after the dot, for example, com, org, or net.

• Generic top-level domains (gTLD) - Virtually all domains which aren't related to a country. Most domain extensions are com, org, and net. All of the gTLDs fall beneath ICANN's policies.
        • Country-code top domains (ccTLD) - All domains which are identified with a country or geographical place, for instance, UK, NL, or DK. A ccTLD constantly consists of 2 letters
        Yes, Hallie I have searched a lot about top level TLDs. Most preferable TLD is .com.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallie Russell View Post
          Hello,

Hello Hallie, you have shared such a nice and beneficial information about TLDs.

Comment

Originally posted by Emma Peterson View Post

Here I have listed some of the top level domains:
            • .org - Organization
            • .com - Commercial
            • .gov - Government
            • .net - Network
            • .info - Informational
            • .edu - educational
            Yes, these are top-level (TLD) domain names. .com is the most preferable domain name extension. Global level business mostly use .com TLD.

Comment

Originally posted by Robyn Jones View Post

Yes, these are top-level (TLD) domain names. .com is the most preferable domain name extension. Global level business mostly use .com TLD.
              Yes, you are right Robyn. com is the most preferable domain extension to host business sites.

Comment

Working...
              X