Powered by eUKhost®

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are MX records? What are MX records used for?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are MX records? What are MX records used for?

An MX record (Mail Exchange Record) is a kind of DNS entry to tell other servers which server is responsible for accepting incoming e-mail. You may wonder why an MX record is necessary, but not all servers where the website and website data is hosted is where e-mail is accepted and stored. In some situations, there will be dedicated mail servers for this purpose, and MX records tell other servers where to send outgoing e-mails to.

From a technical perspective, the MX record specifies which server is responsible for accepting mail sent with the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP).
    Find us on Twitter and Facebook

Need to contact us?
    Customer Support: Client Area - 0800 862 0380 (option 2)
    Customer Relations: [email protected] - 0800 862 0380 (option 3)
    Sales: [email protected] - 0800 862 0380 (option 1)

The opinions or views expressed above are not necessarily the opinions or views of eUKhost Ltd.

Re: What are MX records? What are MX records used for?

So in other words.....
    so when someone sends a message over the internet to [email protected] sending mail server checks the MX records in the Domain Name System for the domain example.com.
    MX server then receives and stores emails.........which could be seen using email clients such as outlook or via web-mail interface.

As mentioned by Ben, The Mail Excahnge (MX) server can be set different to where your website is hosted.

As I have seen, at times functionality of MX server affects the mail delivery.
    I want to know if multiple MX servers can be assigned to one domain name? Is it good practice?
    only @
    :

Comment

You can assign multiple mx records to a domain, but then they will need to be prioritized.

If first mx is down, the mail will go to the second one, which can act as backup.

Comment

Originally posted by chefstack View Post
        You can assign multiple mx records to a domain, but then they will need to be prioritized.

If first mx is down, the mail will go to the second one, which can act as backup.
        Really? where and how do we need to set such MX server priority?
        If for some reason first MX is down all the emails would be redirected instantly to the other server?

Comment

You can assign multiple mx records to a domain, but then they will need to be prioritized. If first mx is down, the mail will go to the second one, which can act as backup.
          Originally posted by Rockhail View Post
          Really? where and how do we need to set such MX server priority?
          If for some reason first MX is down all the emails would be redirected instantly to the other server?
          I could be wrong, but I think this possible. You can configure more than one MX records for one domain, and as far as I know it is purely about a backup purpose to get emails in case one server goes down. To achieve this you will need an SMTP service that collects emails for your domain and that SMTP service would perform delivery to multiple endpoints.

You should consider Google App for your domain if you wish to follow this practice, once you point 2 MX record to Google, Google will host emails for you. I guess this is certainly not a good idea.

Comment

ban-img
          Working...
          X