Interesting Domain Name Facts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Domain Name Facts

>> Youtube.com was born on a Valentine’s Day baby.

>> Oddly, all domain names with the letter A repeated in any succession from 1-63 are registered. Apologies for delivering the bad news if you were planning to register aaaaa...x63 .com.

>> The most expensive domain was sold for $35 million

>> The first registered domain name was Symbolics.com registered on 15th March, 1985.

>> Domain names are most commonly 11 characters long. They also most commonly start with the letter S. This is probably because more English words begin with S than with any other letter.

>> Google.com was supposed to be Googol.com. The Google founders, Larry Page and Sean Anderson had intended to name their company “Googol,”. The two made a minor spelling error when they sat down to search if “googol” was available as a domain name. Google.com was registered and the rest is history.

>> The Nigerian domain extension (.ng) is the most expensive tld you can register. They cost $40,000 a year to register.

>> While .info is the 4th largest TLD, 33% of it are operated by Germans

>> Sadly, we are not in 1995 anymore, the days when domain names were free!

>> World's shortest domain is g.cn

Re: Interesting Domain Name Facts

Originally posted by suzanne View Post
    >> The first registered domain name was Symbolics.com registered on 15th March, 1985.
    That was pretty much earlier than I was even born..
    Rock _a.k.a._ Jack Daniel

Follow eUKhost on Twitter || Join eUKhost Community on Facebook

Comment

Well, time to think about domain trading as well . Anyway, while searching for the most expensive domains all the time, I’ve seen 15 domain names, but only Beer.com grabbed my attention, which was sold at 7 million dollars in 2004. The interesting news is it’s available for registration at aftermarket.com for bidding. Let’s see who is the most passionate about beer.

Comment

With so many new TLDs being introduced and available for registration and few others also offering an option to pre-register, its easy to register a domain name of choice for anyone, albeit with a different and more targeted extension.
        Wordpress Hosting - Your Adventure, Your Story!
        Website Security Bundle - Great Value Security Solutions in value-for-money package!

Comment

Originally posted by suzanne View Post
          >> Youtube.com was born on a Valentine’s Day baby.

>> Oddly, all domain names with the letter A repeated in any succession from 1-63 are registered. Apologies for delivering the bad news if you were planning to register aaaaa...x63 .com.

>> Domain names are most commonly 11 characters long. They also most commonly start with the letter S. This is probably because more English words begin with S than with any other letter.

>> Google.com was supposed to be Googol.com. The Google founders, Larry Page and Sean Anderson had intended to name their company “Googol,”. The two made a minor spelling error when they sat down to search if “googol” was available as a domain name. Google.com was registered and the rest is history.

>> The Nigerian domain extension (.ng) is the most expensive tld you can register. They cost $40,000 a year to register.

>> While .info is the 4th largest TLD, 33% of it are operated by Germans

>> Sadly, we are not in 1995 anymore, the days when domain names were free!

>> World's shortest domain is g.cn
          One more Interesting Fact :-

Mike Mann registered nearly 14,962 domains in a day (24 hours). When asked about his investment, he replied ”I’m just really greedy. I want to own the world.”

Comment

The time has totally changed and it is earlier time when i wan born and now the domain name criteria is totally changed and it has become advanced and domain search takes some time and many things are checked for domains. It's name, space and connectivity.
            Nathocot

Comment

Originally posted by Nathocot View Post
              The time has totally changed and it is earlier time when i wan born and now the domain name criteria is totally changed and it has become advanced and domain searchtakes some time and many things are checked for domains. It's name, space and connectivity.
              For me, it’s just a name for my website and brand; the rest of the things are meaningless. BTW, what do you mean space and connectivity?

Comment

I found all the fact related to domain names are quite interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Irene9001 View Post
                  Well, time to think about domain trading as well . Anyway, while searching for the most expensive domains all the time, I’ve seen 15 domain names, but only Beer.com grabbed my attention, which was sold at 7 million dollars in 2004. The interesting news is it’s available for registration at aftermarket.com for bidding. Let’s see who is the most passionate about beer.
                  BTW, VacationRentals.com was the lucky domain to be sold out at $35m

Comment

Originally posted by Rock View Post
                    BTW, VacationRentals.com was the lucky domain to be sold out at $35m
                    Somebody rightly said “Never buy anything from a rich salesman”. $35 million for just a domain name, it’s too much, I would say the height of a stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by Irene9001 View Post
                      Somebody rightly said “Never buy anything from a rich salesman”. $35 million for just a domain name, it’s too much, I would say the height of a stupidity.
                      HaHa.. actually the person who bought this domain quoted this high to avoid losing this domain to Expedia

Comment

HaHa.. actually the person who bought this domain quoted this high to avoid losing this domain to Expedia
                        You beat me to it!!! Funnily enough, I only just read about the VacationRentals domain last week, so quite a coincidence to see a forum thread about it . CEO of the company that bought VacationRentals said something along the lines of "We only bought it to stop Expedia getting their hands on lol." $35 million. Unbelievable.

Comment

Did you now that All “A” .com domains are no more available.

Comment

Originally posted by AndersonSpark View Post
                            Did you now that All “A” .com domains are no more available.
                            And what does tend to?? Can you be a bit more specific...

Comment

And what does tend to?? Can you be a bit more specific...
                              Funny - I was wondering about that myself. I heard that eventually there are not going to be any more domain names. Sounds equally absurd. The world wide web is infinity, isn't it?

Comment

Working...
                              X