Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unlimited Disk Space and Bandwidth ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Yeah, unlimited disk space / bandwidth is a myth. Remember servers are still computers! Can you buy a PC with unlimited disk space? Nope! For the same reason, you cannot by a server with unlimited either .
    David Smith
    Managing Director
    DPS Computing Limited

    - Massive update! (September 2011) - It's now not neglected!!
    - New Site (10/2009)

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by DPS Computing View Post
      Yeah, unlimited disk space / bandwidth is a myth. Remember servers are still computers! Can you buy a PC with unlimited disk space? Nope! For the same reason, you cannot by a server with unlimited either .
      It's called something...oh, I can't exactly remember! Ah!! That's it. Overselling . By a lot.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Ben View Post
        It's called something...oh, I can't exactly remember! Ah!! That's it. Overselling . By a lot.
        Well kinda. But I wouldn't class it as overselling. For simplicities sake I'll use easy numbers.

        If I had a 10gb disk on a server and I was reselling 1 gb accounts, if I was overselling I may set up 20 1gb accounts on that server.

        Therefore in theory, disk space wise the server could be at 200% capacity - that I would class as overselling.

        If I had the same 10 gb disk on a server and I sold two accounts with unlimited disk space. I've not oversold it, it's way beyond that.

        I mean, in theory they could each place, I don't know, a mere 500 TB each on their account? So the server would be hundreds if not thousands of percent oversold.

        But, then you have to think - these two accounts are trying to put 1000TB on a 10GB disk - but as they're unlimited it is still less than their "accounts capacity".

        Therefore, it's not overselling, its just plain fantasy.

        It's like me being on a market stall with stock of 10 apples and offering unlimited apples for 5.

        Sounds nice, but doesn't exist .
        David Smith
        Managing Director
        DPS Computing Limited

        - Massive update! (September 2011) - It's now not neglected!!
        - New Site (10/2009)

        Comment


        • #19
          Unlimited hosting is a myth, does it mean that the hosting provider doesn't provide a quality web hosting service?

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by compcruz View Post
            Unlimited hosting is a myth, does it mean that the hosting provider doesn't provide a quality web hosting service?
            Well yes, it is impossible to provide a "quality web hosting service" for free for potentially hundreds or thousands of customers. Paid hosting is the only way to provide a quality web hosting service .
            David Smith
            Managing Director
            DPS Computing Limited

            - Massive update! (September 2011) - It's now not neglected!!
            - New Site (10/2009)

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by compcruz View Post
              Unlimited hosting is a myth, does it mean that the hosting provider doesn't provide a quality web hosting service?
              Indeed, you can check the reliability, support and the uptime offered by any FREE Hosting service provider yourself. Personally, i have came across many clients who had lost their website data since their FREE webhost disappeared without any notice
              :hammering:

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by harry View Post
                Indeed, you can check the reliability, support and the uptime offered by any FREE Hosting service provider yourself. Personally, i have came across many clients who had lost their website data since their FREE webhost disappeared without any notice
                Yeah, they have an annoying habit of doing that .
                David Smith
                Managing Director
                DPS Computing Limited

                - Massive update! (September 2011) - It's now not neglected!!
                - New Site (10/2009)

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by DPS Computing View Post
                  Yeah, they have an annoying habit of doing that .
                  haha . Not sure why either .

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Ben View Post
                    haha . Not sure why either .
                    They must have made millions and retired to the Costa del Sol . lol.
                    David Smith
                    Managing Director
                    DPS Computing Limited

                    - Massive update! (September 2011) - It's now not neglected!!
                    - New Site (10/2009)

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by harry View Post
                      Indeed, you can check the reliability, support and the uptime offered by any FREE Hosting service provider yourself. Personally, i have came across many clients who had lost their website data since their FREE webhost disappeared without any notice
                      Well it isn't fair to blame free hosting service providers few of them are actually run better than some paid hosting companies.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Irene9001 View Post
                        Well it isn't fair to blame free hosting service providers few of them are actually run better than some paid hosting companies.
                        Having used many free hosting providers in the past, I am afraid that I cannot agree with this statement.

                        None of them even came anywhere near the performance of a paid host. .
                        David Smith
                        Managing Director
                        DPS Computing Limited

                        - Massive update! (September 2011) - It's now not neglected!!
                        - New Site (10/2009)

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Yeh I would say the same too.
                          Now some paid hosts may suck as much as free hosting, but free hosting does not > paid hosting.


                          I am just a voluntary moderator here, I do not speak for eUKhost officially!

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Brian View Post
                            Yeh I would say the same too.
                            Now some paid hosts may suck as much as free hosting, but free hosting does not > paid hosting.
                            Yeah, couldn't have put it better .
                            David Smith
                            Managing Director
                            DPS Computing Limited

                            - Massive update! (September 2011) - It's now not neglected!!
                            - New Site (10/2009)

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X