DNS Settings - Point domain to new server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Settings - Point domain to new server

Right, I'll start off by saying that I'm not 100% sure I know what I am asking but here goes anyway...

One of my clients has a domain and hosting package with Winserve. However it's rubbish.

I have moved his website onto my VPS, and now need to point his domain. I would usually do this by updating the name servers within the domain manger, however this doesn't seem to be an option with them - but I have the option to edit the DNS records.

Can I replace the IP address within these fields to the IP address of my server? or is it a case that we need to dig deeper with them to get it either updated manually or move the domain?

Here are the options I have in the DNS editor...

Hello Gary,

Yes, you can update/replace the IP's with your servers IP address, so that the domain points to your server.

Also most of the domain registrar allows private nameservers, if they don't you can move/transfer the domain to us
    Chris White
    (Former eUK Employee)

UK's premier web hosting company.

Comment

Originally posted by eUK - Chris View Post
      Hello Gary,

Yes, you can update/replace the IP's with your servers IP address, so that the domain points to your server.

Also most of the domain registrar allows private nameservers, if they don't you can move/transfer the domain to us
      Perfect! Can I just ask...

The current settings show a number of different IP address, and I obviously only have one, is it just a case of setting them all to the same?

Also does directing it via the DNS have any impact, rather than via nameservers settings?

Comment

Originally posted by garygas View Post

The current settings show a number of different IP address, and I obviously only have one, is it just a case of setting them all to the same?
        Hi Gary !

Do update appropriate IP for all those A records which you wish to point on your server with us. Eg. FTP A record will be the same IP as configured on the server with us.

Also does directing it via the DNS have any impact, rather than via nameservers settings?
        There should not any issue if your existing DNS server is configured properly and update your changes immediately. As the DNS propagation is worldwide process, the update might take a few minutes to 24-48 hours for domain resolution at various places.
        Regards,
        Kieran A.
        Cloud Administrator

Comment

It should be fine the way you have described.

And you can direct all to the same IP - multiple IPs can be used, but this is for redundancy purposes I believe - there should be no negative effect to using the same IP as long as it doesn't go down .
          David Smith
          Managing Director
          DPS Computing Limited

- Massive update! (September 2011) - It's now not neglected!!
          - New Site (10/2009)

Comment

Hi Gary,

You should open the zone file of your client's domain on your VPS and see the IP assigned to www, ftp & mail record and point the same records from the DNS server to the respective IP. You will have same IP for all the records, unless you have configured the mail server to work on a different IP.
            eUKhost - eNlight Cloud Hosting || eUKhost Knowledgebase
            Toll Free : 0808 262 0255 || Skype : mark_ducadi

Comment

Working...
            X