SSL choice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSL choice

We were going to pay for a domain-verified SSL Cert, but as they are now offered free with Cpanel, there doesn't seem much point. However, is there any performance hit using a Cpanel SSL Cert as opposed to a paid for one e.g. from Geotrust?

We don't need an extended verification Cert, just domain verification.

The encryption is same for both the free SSL offered with Cpanel as well as the paid one. It's just that you will need to renew the certificate every 30-90 days and also you need support which isn't available if you are considering the free option.

Comment

Crystal,

Hi thanks for your reply. Renewal of the free certificate seems to be automatic judging by the regular emails we get confirming renewal, so I guess that's not an issue for us. I understand that the encryption level is the same for both, but I wanted to know whether there is an performance disadvantage is using a free SSL as opposed to paid. I know there is some overhead in using SSL as every server request has the extra step to go through compared to an unencrypted page, so is using a free SSL likely to be slower?

Comment

Working...
      X