Deleting Some Files For Cleaning Up The Website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deleting Some Files For Cleaning Up The Website

I am planning to clean an old website that I had created, however before I take any step I need some information on this. I have come across some files and folders that I don’t need but I am not sure if they can be deleted or not.

Since the inception of the website, I have installed many apps like Joomla and photo galleries but I am pretty sure that I had deleted all of them. They were installed through Fantastico however now I am using Softaculous. When I check all installations through Softaculous, there is a message displayed that there are no installations. In my opinion, anything installed with Fantastico would be displayed here if it was still installed.

The folders present in the root are:

_mgxftp
    _mgxroot
    cgi-bin - this is empty

The files present in the root are:

BIMPLiteConfig.bat
    fantastico_fileslist.txt
    fantversion.php
    index.php~jsmf~backup~
    php_errorlog
    style.css
    templogotop.jpg

I would like to know if these files are left behind by the uninstalled apps and if it is safe to delete them.

Re: Deleting Some Files For Cleaning Up The Website

Unless you are 100% sure about the files and their association with the currently installed applications over the server, don't delete them. Though if you assume that the files and folders aren't useful, I'd still strongly suggest you to take a backup of all the files and keep them at a secure location. So if incase you happen to find discrepancies in the sites performance you'd have a choice to upload the files back and regain the functionality of your website.
    | |
    Best Paying offered by Eukhost Ltd.

Comment

Originally posted by Craaig View Post
      I am planning to clean an old website that I had created, however before I take any step I need some information on this. I have come across some files and folders that I don’t need but I am not sure if they can be deleted or not.

Since the inception of the website, I have installed many apps like Joomla and photo galleries but I am pretty sure that I had deleted all of them. They were installed through Fantastico however now I am using Softaculous. When I check all installations through Softaculous, there is a message displayed that there are no installations. In my opinion, anything installed with Fantastico would be displayed here if it was still installed.

The folders present in the root are:

_mgxftp
      _mgxroot
      cgi-bin - this is empty

The files present in the root are:

BIMPLiteConfig.bat
      fantastico_fileslist.txt
      fantversion.php
      index.php~jsmf~backup~
      php_errorlog
      style.css
      templogotop.jpg

I would like to know if these files are left behind by the uninstalled apps and if it is safe to delete them.
      Looking at the files mentioned above, they don't seem to be of any harm to your website.. but as Stan mentioned, it'd be safe to backup them prior to deleting them.. move them to another location & them check the working of your website for few days, if all's good then proceed with removing them permanently
      Rock _a.k.a._ Jack Daniel

Follow eUKhost on Twitter || Join eUKhost Community on Facebook

Comment

Thanks for all the information. I also wanted to know apart from Joomla, which is a good content management system that I can use. In terms of the website I am talking about, I have to deal with a lot of data.

Comment

Originally posted by Craaig View Post
          Thanks for all the information. I also wanted to know apart from Joomla, which is a good content management system that I can use. In terms of the website I am talking about, I have to deal with a lot of data.
          You're welcome. You can try out WordPress or Drupal as an alternative to Joomla CMS or you might like Umbraco if you're wanting to having it hosted on a Windows hosting platform.
          Rock _a.k.a._ Jack Daniel

Follow eUKhost on Twitter || Join eUKhost Community on Facebook

Comment

Working...
          X