Hardware Raid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware Raid

Hi with your servers, what hardware raid card are you using? Is it BBU?
    Is BBU required these days?

Re: Hardware Raid

BBU : It doesn't power the disks, it just keeps the data in the cache for (in this case) up to 72 hours until you bring the machine back on line. When you power the machine back up it will write the contents of the cache back out to the disks.

All it does is protect against a power failure. If (for some reason) the machine loses power without cleanly flushing the data out to disk the battery keeps the cache contents alive until you can restart the machine.

Let us know your preferred hosting platform and spec requirement to help you with the pertinent solution.

Comment

We are looking for a dedicated server
      Linux
      16-32gb ram
      E3v2 cpu
      Raid 10 - bbu required?
      4x300gb sas or 4x240gb ssd

The platform will be for Cpanel shared hosting (mysql, email, etc)

Not sure yet whether ssd or sas is best for iops in raid 10. And if a non bbu raid card is safe?

Appreciate your advice,
      Thanks

Comment

Hello Bronchwest,

We can certainly provide you the customized server, we will kindly request you to initiate a live chat in sales department for detailed server configuration and quote. You can also directly contact me through email - [email protected] | Skype - stuart.hancock89.

Comment

BBU with give you ssd performance if you use 4x SATA disk !
          DomainHostSSL - Cheap VPS from $1.20/mo Since 2003. - http://my.cheapdomainnamesdot.com/

Comment

This is yet another thing I have no clue about. Can someone please provide a better description of what I need to be aware of when it comes to these two?

Comment

Originally posted by Spidey View Post
              This is yet another thing I have no clue about. Can someone please provide a better description of what I need to be aware of when it comes to these two?
              As Stuart mentioned above, both BBU & non-BBU supported RAID cards are available in the market.

BBU : It doesn't power the disks, it just keeps the data in the cache for (in this case) up to 72 hours until you bring the machine back on line. When you power the machine back up it will write the contents of the cache back out to the disks.

All it does is protect against a power failure. If (for some reason) the machine loses power without cleanly flushing the data out to disk the battery keeps the cache contents alive until you can restart the machine.
              RAID controllers have integrated caches for increasing performance. With corresponding protective mechanisms, the content of these caches would be lost when a power failure occurs. For that reason, the cache content is often protected by a BBU. However, proper maintenance is required so that the BBU will actually work properly during a power failure. On the other hand, RAID controllers which do not use a BBU to protect the cache have a mechanism to copy the content of this cache to flash memory in an event of a power failure. Such RAID cards do not require special cache protection maintenance.

I hope this clarifies your doubts & answers your questions
              Rock _a.k.a._ Jack Daniel

Follow eUKhost on Twitter || Join eUKhost Community on Facebook

Comment

Working...
              X