Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I change my url from a test site on Wordpress to the live site url?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I change my url from a test site on Wordpress to the live site url?

Hello,

I would be really grateful for help/advice. Do you know I change my url from a test site on Wordpress to the live site url; so that is changing all page links as well as image links?

Many thanks!

Re: How do I change my url from a test site on Wordpress to the live site url?

Originally posted by stote View Post
    Hello,

I would be really grateful for help/advice. Do you know I change my url from a test site on Wordpress to the live site url; so that is changing all page links as well as image links?

Many thanks!
    Hi!

There are 2 ways to change the WordPress domain name, one from the WP admin area & the other directly from the MySQL database:

1) From WP-Admin area:
    • Log in to your WordPress control panel (http://test-domain.com/wp-admin, where test-domain.com is your current test domain name).
    • Go to Settings >> General settings (http://test-domain.com/wp-admin/options-general.php).
    • In the Settings >> General screen, there are two fields named "WordPress Address (URL)" and "Site Address (URL)". They are important settings, since they control where WordPress thinks your site is located. They control the display of the URL in the admin section of your page, as well as the front end, and are used throughout the WordPress code.
    • In the WordPress Address (URL) and Site Address (URL) fields, enter the new domain name (http://new-domain.com) you want to use, and then click Save Changes.
      • The "Site Address (URL)" setting is the address you want people to type in their browser to reach your WordPress blog.
      • The "WordPress Address (URL)" setting is the address where your WordPress core files reside.
      • Note: Both settings should include the http:// part and should not have a slash "/" at the end.

2) Changing the URL directly in the database:

If you know how to access phpMyAdmin, then you can edit these values directly to get you up and running again.
    • Login to phpMyAdmin.
    • Click the link to your Databases.
    • A list of your databases will appear. Choose the one that is your WordPress database.
    • All the tables in your database will appear on the screen.
    • From the list, look for wp_options.
    • Click on the small icon indicated as Browse.
    • A screen will open with a list of the fields within the wp_options table.
    • Under the field option_name, scroll down and look for siteurl.
    • Click the Edit Field icon which usually is found at the far left at the beginning of the row.
    • The Edit Field window will appear.
    • In the input box for option_value, change the URL information to the new address.
    • Verify this is correct and click Go to save the information.
    • You should be returned to your wp_options table.
    • Look for the home field in the table and click Edit Field.
    • In the input box for option_value, change the URL information to the new address.
    • Verify this is correct and click Go to save the information.

Or you can contact our 24x7 support team & we'll get that done for you quickly.
    Rock _a.k.a._ Jack Daniel

Follow eUKhost on Twitter || Join eUKhost Community on Facebook

Comment

Thank you Rock.

Will the change in general Wordpress settings also change the link/path to all the pages and images within the site or do I need to do something extra to change that?

And for the server where the files sit, will a change of primary domain update the link to all the files?

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by stote View Post
        Thank you Rock.

Will the change in general Wordpress settings also change the link/path to all the pages and images within the site or do I need to do something extra to change that?

And for the server where the files sit, will a change of primary domain update the link to all the files?

Thanks a lot!
        You are welcome

WordPress keeps all the links relative (ie. not hardcoded ones), so when you change the details in WP general settings, it makes the subsequent change in the database & hence the URLs are changed automatically too. There's no need to change anything manually apart from the changes mentioned in my last post...
        Rock _a.k.a._ Jack Daniel

Follow eUKhost on Twitter || Join eUKhost Community on Facebook

Comment

Working...
        X