Traffic from Wikipedia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traffic from Wikipedia

Even after Wikipedia added "nofollow" attributes, Wikipedia traffic is greater. After searching wikipedia traffic in alexa on wikipedia search, from the traffic point of views there is no any affect either positive or negative side, the traffic is going on...

Traffic analysis after approx date of "notfollow attribute";

http://traffic.alexa.com/graph?o=l&c...=3&h=300&w=610

Google send tons of traffic to wikipedia and it is still a trusted source for google and other search engine for targeted traffic. It put great impact on website hosting traffic. Users most of the time refer wiki, in my views even after "nofollow attributes" submiting your website hostings to relevant Wikipedia articles on specific topic will greatly help in targeted traffic.
    Last edited by paul; 07-09-2007, 13:25. Reason: Tried to put graph image.

That is interesting to know - thanks paul .
    David Smith
    Managing Director
    DPS Computing Limited

- Massive update! (September 2011) - It's now not neglected!!
    - New Site (10/2009)

Comment

A related wiki fact is that as of last night atleast the English wikipedia was 5000 articles short of having 2 million articles.
      To err is human, but to really screw up you need a computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Eidolon View Post
        A related wiki fact is that as of last night atleast the English wikipedia was 5000 articles short of having 2 million articles.
        That's really amazing fegure rarely found in any online database, also wiki entered the Oxford English Dictionary for recording word's most known uses and variants in all varieties of English from worldwide, past [earliest records ca. A.D. 740], and to the present with sense-history, pronunciation, and etymology of each words, that is really very good work.

I think wiki should refine their policy for "anyone can edit" realm and should more focused on accuracy.

Comment

I think the Spike in Wikipedia traffic is largely due to the fact that it is one of the most trusted resource for information on almost everything. The use of 'No-Follow' should have no effect on the traffic of Wikipedia. The "no-follow" used on Wikipedia is to instruct search engines that the external links on various pages are to be ignored and to avoid passing on page/trust rank.
          Wordpress Hosting - Your Adventure, Your Story!
          Website Security Bundle - Great Value Security Solutions in value-for-money package!
          Follow eUKhost on Twitter || Join eUKhost Community on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
            I think the Spike in Wikipedia traffic is largely due to the fact that it is one of the most trusted resource for information on almost everything. The use of 'No-Follow' should have no effect on the traffic of Wikipedia. The "no-follow" used on Wikipedia is to instruct search engines that the external links on various pages are to be ignored and to avoid passing on page/trust rank.
            Thats a very good point - it would be an easy way to abuse Wikipedia to add your own links and then profit from the success - and seen as though it can be edited by everyone this is a very good idea.

I have got to admit I read Wikipedia for hours and hours about anything and find it hard to pull myself away!!
            David Smith
            Managing Director
            DPS Computing Limited

- New Site (10/2009)

Comment

Well, likewise the links should be quite relevant to the content to remain longer in wikipedia, and also there is good chance to find a place there if you try out to edit the wiki which requires login because there is less chances that few competitors will remove your link easily. Overall point is that one should provide relevant information and add resources by maintaining the integrity of the wiki when editing.

Comment

If you search any word there's a 80% probability to end up on Wikipedia. I tried to see for two words and the things change dramatically. Wikipedia managed to cover almost any word of interest (including names and dates) and if you push the I feel lucky button this web site hosting is the first one. Who knows, maybe in time Google and Wikipedia will make some business plan together. When it comes to traffic, I contacted some people at professional seo services and asked how things work. They made a special post about this.
                professional seo services

Comment

Also, I heard Google scan wikipedia with their undisclosed proprietary method and access its content to give the users more relevant search results.

Comment

Wonder how much extra load that puts on Wikipedias servers!
                    David Smith
                    Managing Director
                    DPS Computing Limited

- New Site (10/2009)

Comment

The problem with Wikipedia is if your contributions are not top notch, your links are edted out pretty quickly

Comment

Originally posted by DPS Computing View Post
                        Wonder how much extra load that puts on Wikipedias servers!
                        Here are few metrics on Wikipedia's operations:
                        • 50,000 http requests per second
                        • 80,000 SQL Server queries per second
                        • 7 million registered users
                        • 18 million page objects in the English version
                        • 250 million page links
                        • 220 million revisions
                        • 1.5 terabytes of compressed data
                        Source: http://www. datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2008/Jun/24/a_look_inside_wikipedias_infrastructure.html

I too wondering when Google and Microsoft spending $500 million on one of their global data center projects how a non-profit organization manage it all.

Comment

Working...
                        X