Just a brainstorm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a brainstorm

My background is that I emigrated to a new country a couple of years ago and took a relatively low-paid (but very time-consuming) job as a teaching assistant. Whilst it's OK, I don't want to do training to go further into teaching - it's not really my vocation. Also, I'm 40 now, and can't see myself being an assistant for the next 25 years either. Being in a foreign country and not speaking the language (yet) limits what kind of other jobs I can do, and there is 14% local unemployment anyway. I feel stuck and vulnerable.

So to earn extra money in the evening and weekends, and to perhaps have something else to fall back on, I'm trying to work towards providing some sort of service on the internet. For the last couple of years in the evenings I've been looking at and learning about various CMS systems - e107, joomla, drupal, expression engine, etc - building two school websites along the way. I've now recently got a VPS to play with too.

Over the next year or two, I'm going to do three or four small, cheap 'I'm still studying how to do this' websites for people I know, including trying to take online payments, and learning a bit more about WHM/cpanel hosting. I really need to start to learn php and css properly, and some flash. At that point, I think I'll have the basic skills necessary to actually have a go at making some extra money.

I started off this whole idea thinking about being a website designer, but building a site for yourself within your own ideas and limitations is very, very different from building one to a customer's specification. Becoming a competent designer would take a huge amount of additional study and time, and I'd be entering a very saturated area. Working for a school has given me insight to their unique requirement and problems, and this could provide a niche (there are also lots of language schools here). But then again, school websites are also very large and complex, fraught with privacy, security and usability issues. So I'm actually going off this idea.

From what I've researched so far, I also don't like the sound of building websites to achieve affiliate sales or advertising revenue from high traffic. Becoming an SEO expert and spending all day luring people to my sites doesn't sound like anything I could enjoy.

So now I'm thinking more along the lines of a traditional service or business. I'm also re-thinking my role - instead of the person who actually does the 'thing' themselves, I should ideally be the 'hands off' organiser of it, paying other people to do the work.

For instance, I could build a website that puts human translators (I know many bilingual language teachers) in touch with businesses that need translation (tourism is the main industry here). That way the website is doing my share of the work, and I take a commission from the transactions. Similarly, I could put language students in touch with private teachers. I could also try to provide some sort of niche tourism service, advertised, booked and paid for through a website; maybe a mountain walking guide, or something of that ilk.

Over the next year or so, I'll be thinking about this sort of thing every day and be constantly looking for niches and opportunities. Hopefully before too long I'll have some winning ideas and will have acquired the skills to execute them.

Why this thread? Well, I just needed to write down my thoughts. Sometimes it helps to clear and clarify the mind. But also, I'd like to know if anyone else is in the same position? Does anyone recognise themselves in what I've written? Especially, is there anyone with a successful online business *now* who thinks - 'yes, that's where I was four years ago'?

Also, any other business ideas or resources are welcome.

Cheers.

If I could have been your place I would have registered a.edu domain name through my personal contact from the local institutions where I have worked as school teacher. I could have been created a website for career & counseling or home tutoring website or a software which would have changed the traditional teaching method in schools. Now coming to the point, in addition because you've interest in travels & tourism niche, you can create travel site and join affiliate programs for providing services for hotels/flight booking etc. Also since you've interest in web designing and in learning more about WHM/cpanel hosting I would suggest you to start reseller hosting business side by side. Wish you all the best!

Comment

A question about the reseller suggestion. I had thought about that before, but the thing that is stopping me just now is that I am not personally good enough to provide good technical support. Do resellers for eukhost ever have their customers access the excellent eukhost support directly? Or would it usually be a 'chain of support':

customer with problem -> reseller -> eukhost support -> reseller -> customer

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by -Anti- View Post
        A question about the reseller suggestion. I had thought about that before, but the thing that is stopping me just now is that I am not personally good enough to provide good technical support. Do resellers for eukhost ever have their customers access the excellent eukhost support directly? Or would it usually be a 'chain of support':

customer with problem -> reseller -> eukhost support -> reseller -> customer

Thanks
        Yes that is the channel, however for the very first level support you should have no problem because it is generally solved out through the Help desk/knowledgebase also the WHMCS has a built in Helpdesk that can reduce the number of tickets. However issues that cannot be addressed by the reseller or difficult support questions are handled by the hosting service providers where you've reseller account so you need not to worry about support issue at any level.

Without hesitation I would recommend you reseller hosting from euKHost because you'll never worry about the support issues, they provide the fastest and most efficient service adding tremendous value to your support offering.

Comment

Working...
        X