Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it a good idea to have a Chatroom on your site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lindsay
    replied
    Could you use a chat room as a platform for presenting webinars? You could use it as a regular chat room at other times, but webinars seem to be very useful marketing tools for businesses.

Leave a comment:

• webwanderer
    replied
    I can see how a website could benefit from a chat room. With social media being so successful, a chat room would cultivate participants who would tell others about your chat room and therefore your site.

Leave a comment:

• MattBarthorp
    replied
    Originally posted by BizzyBlythe View Post
    Chat rooms do not seem to me to be a good idea for businesses. The free chat room services post advertising that is beyond your control and any advertisng on your website reflects on you. You could also run into an issue with ads that would compete with your business.
    It needn't be the case always. You can look for an open source Chat Script which can be embedded in the website.

You might want to refer the following URL to know a list of such scripts :

opensourcescripts.com/dir/php/chat.html

Leave a comment:

• BizzyBlythe
    replied
    Chat rooms do not seem to me to be a good idea for businesses. The free chat room services post advertising that is beyond your control and any advertisng on your website reflects on you. You could also run into an issue with ads that would compete with your business.

Leave a comment:

• AlexMarkets
    replied
    I agree about the need for having the chat moderated. That can be very time-consuming. You have to ask yourself if having a chat area on your website offers benefits that outweigh the time or expense of constantly monitoring what's posted in the chat and therefore on your website.

Leave a comment:

• DPS Computing
    replied
    Originally posted by Gregory View Post
    I think a good solution for this problem is using a shoutbox hosted by another company like Shoutmix or CBox. Doing this, you don't have to worry so much about the bandwidth it consumes because it use the company's bandwidth and not yours.
    Don't they place adverts on your website for this service? I don't know, I'm just asking because I know similar services do and this could be undesirable depending on the website .

Leave a comment:

• Gregory
    replied
    Originally posted by WeRollin View Post
    Let me just say, you'll have to be careful with bandwith. Chatrooms really kill you in terms of bandwith, let me tell you. I have had a shoutbox as well as a chatroom and I couldn't afford to have both. One or the other is a little more affordable, but just again be careful with your bandwith.
    I think a good solution for this problem is using a shoutbox hosted by another company like Shoutmix or CBox. Doing this, you don't have to worry so much about the bandwidth it consumes because it use the company's bandwidth and not yours.

Leave a comment:

• DPS Computing
    replied
    I think this topic is very subjective. Some sites lend themselves to a chat feature of some description while for others it is a bad idea. As has been mentioned the practical issues of moderation and someone being at the computer have to be taken into account as well as the bandwidth. Also, some chat software can be difficult to configure and maintain but I'm sure there are some fairly easy to use lightweight options out there .

Leave a comment:

• Caleb55
    replied
    I would say not to have a live chat because then people typically find something to talk about that gets out of hand and I personally wouldn't want that kind of behavior on my website. Even if you were to moderate it 24/7, people might get mad if you boot them off your site for getting out of control and then strike back at you on your website.

Leave a comment:

• PizzaBoy
    replied
    What about if you had a customer support forum, and you visited it every couple of hours and provide support for every new thread/question/problem...?

Also, do you know what chat software is the easiest to install? Is there one that consumes less bandwidth than the others?

Leave a comment:

• WebCrazy
    replied
    Well again, thanks for all the advice! I guess I hadn't thought of it taking up bandwidth so would have to consider that. Do they have chatroom that you don't have to 'host' on your own server? Is there such a thing?

Leave a comment:

• Rock
    replied
    Originally posted by WeRollin View Post
    Let me just say, you'll have to be careful with bandwith. Chatrooms really kill you in terms of bandwith, let me tell you. I have had a shoutbox as well as a chatroom and I couldn't afford to have both. One or the other is a little more affordable, but just again be careful with your bandwith.
    Originally posted by onlinemedia View Post
    I think a forum or discussion portion would be more efficient to have in your website. chat room is not much good in my opinion.
    Exactly, chat would consume a certain amount of bandwidth, but it'd also improve your sales, more than what the forums or a discussion portion would ever be able to do provide that type of direct interaction Also, having a chat feature would also mean better privacy, than posting on forums publicly & support assistance in real/live time.. hence improving the services to.. what do you say?

Leave a comment:

• onlinemedia
    replied
    I think a forum or discussion portion would be more efficient to have in your website. chat room is not much good in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• WeRollin
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Rock
    replied
    Originally posted by WebCrazy View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. It wouldn't be just for 'business' purposed but also for anyone who wanted to pop in for a chat with someone else from the forum. I guess the main thing like was mentioned is always having someone to monitor so if you did have members popping in, someone would actually be there. I will keep it in mind as it sounds like a good idea to me.
    You're welcome

Leave a comment:

Working...
X