Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASP.NET Programming: Do you use the ASP.NET programming language?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASP.NET Programming: Do you use the ASP.NET programming language?

Although ASP.NET applications only work on Windows Web Hosting, having tried ASP.NET out myself (and subsequently posting some ASP.NET programming tutorials like this one: http://forums.eukhost.com/f50/how-co...net-net-16995/), I have to say I quite like ASP.NET. Although I don't like that you need to have Windows to easily develop ASP.NET web applications. The reason why I like ASP.NET is because you can use several languages of your choice - such as C# or Visual Basic, and you get the same benefits of the .NET framework to create your applications. And most importantly, because create ASP.NET application code is actually more structured and coherent than I would of thought, because your Visual Basic code is supposed to go in a separate "code-behind" file, whereas your markup code (HTML, CSS, ASP.NET web controls, etc.) go in the ordinary .aspx file. It's really nice in my opinion. But ASP.NET running solely on Windows Web Hosting, I decided to create a Windows Server VM so I can run the ASP.NET application I made (yes, I am a customer too ). I already had prior experience using Visual Basic and creating Windows applications - which meant I could get to grips using ASP.NET pretty quickly. Most of the good video and text resources I found were on the actual ASP.net website.

I know David's done a spot of ASP.NET programming. Have you tried ASP.NET? What do you think of it?

Do also let me know if you want more ASP.NET tutorials .

ASP.NET is popular in business but for end users it's likely for web applications PHP is the favourable option, but saying that Ruby on Rails is another popular language/framework as well used to create web applications. When you create large PHP applications I'd always suggest for someone to use a PHP framework like FuelPHP. There's a few others I've heard of as well - CakePHP, CodeIgniter (has a more elaborative user guide than that of CakePHP and likely many other PHP frameworks you can choose from).

Never tried ASP.NET myself but not sure why you're using Visual Basic.

Comment

Ah, I've heard about FuelPHP as well, seems pretty interesting. Just did a quick Google search and it seems it's only been in development since October 2010. Definitely looks interesting, might have to try it out. Anyone else used it?

Comment

Originally posted by ReeceUK View Post
        ASP.NET is popular in business but for end users it's likely for web applications PHP is the favourable option, but saying that Ruby on Rails is another popular language/framework as well used to create web applications. When you create large PHP applications I'd always suggest for someone to use a PHP framework like FuelPHP. There's a few others I've heard of as well - CakePHP, CodeIgniter (has a more elaborative user guide than that of CakePHP and likely many other PHP frameworks you can choose from).

Never tried ASP.NET myself but not sure why you're using Visual Basic.
        Didn't see this . What's wrong with Visual Basic? . It's a good language to use for .NET development. Except for syntax, I can't find any major benefits to C# to VB, which is why I've not bothered learning C# syntax for .NET development yet. And the fact you can use both C# and VB .NET code in one application is another reason it's a good thing that Microsoft allow you to choose from a variety of languages. What programming language do you prefer? I'm sure there's a compiler for .NET. For PHP there's Phalanger.

I've looked at ruby on rails but not really dived much into it myself. Might give it another go at it some point - quite interested to try it out again.

Comment

Working...
        X