Okay, CSS again!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thomas View Post

lol, how old is the browser he is using?
    He is still using IE5 released somewhere in late 1998 or '99.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas View Post
      "Why should we bother doing it with web pages?"

Because believe it or not, Netscape 3 is still widely used.
      Where have those statistics come from. IE7, IE6, FF 1 and FF2 are the most widely used browsers I believe and make up well over 95% of Internet users browsers I imagine.

Where have you got these statistics / information from that Netscape 3 is still widely used.

As has been said, why should I make a website hosting work with an 11 year old browser when huge companies such as Microsoft withdraw there support for older browsers 2 years after the next release is made!!

Originally posted by paul View Post
      He is still using IE5 released somewhere in late 1998 or '99.
      Well I believe that the website hostings I have made will probably degrade quite sensibly in IE5. You were scaring me then and I thought you would say he was still using Windows for Workgroups 1 and the original IE!!
      Last edited by DPS Computing; 16-07-2007, 10:58.
      David Smith
      Managing Director
      DPS Computing Limited

- Massive update! (September 2011) - It's now not neglected!!
      - New Site (10/2009)

Comment

Just looked up the stats from W3C, which I am sure we will agree is a reliable source, and the last stats they have for NS3 were back from 2004 which shows inbetween 0.2% and 0.8% of Internet users using it.

After that stats arn't available as I belive the use dropped to negligiable with the release of Mozilla and the Firefox.

Considering were now in mid 2007 I doubt anymore than 0.01% is using it - therefore I wouldn't count it as widely used! .

Also considering usage of Netscape 7, which is 4 versions later than NS3, in 2004 was only 1.5% at its peak it shows that even the later versions of Netscape arnt widely used.
        Last edited by DPS Computing; 16-07-2007, 11:03.
        David Smith
        Managing Director
        DPS Computing Limited

- Massive update! (September 2011) - It's now not neglected!!
        - New Site (10/2009)

Comment

Not sure why anyone would use such old versions of IE & Netscape. IE in my opinion is a rubbish piece of software for browser compatibility and if Microsoft are such experts then why do they make a browser that still isn't as good as Mozilla Firefox? Anyway, I personally only check my Web templates in IE7, Mozilla Firefox & the latest version of Opera. I would think that people are still using IE6 (and maybe even IE5) but only for those casual surfers who do not have ground-up experience in the Internet, so looking for web site hosting compatibility in such older browsers is clearly not necessary. You can check this source for usage shares of browsers and as per usual IE dominates that aspect. Typically, if you design in Mozilla Firefox it usually renders much better in IE.

Comment

This seems to be age old issue of how far back you go supporting older browsers, it not only applies to CSS, but javascript as well because not all browsers support ajax.

I find the best approach is to code your website hosting to a reasonable set of browsers, at least the latest IE, Firefox and Opera; obviously if a version has just come out then code for the previous version too. Once it has gone live, monitor statistics for your website hosting, if there is a browser which is not supported and used by a high number of users, then code your web site hosting to support that browser too. You can't just put a web site hosting out there and expect it to work, you've got to maintain it too.

For an example, take a look at the browsers in statistics w3schools.com, they have quite high percentage of firefox users, but it could be argued that their target audience is web developers.

The same is true for newer versions of browsers, IE8 should not be too long before it comes out, so go get a beta and be ready for it's release.

Comment

Working...
            X