Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to input data to a database?

G'day all:

I am a complete beginner at MySQL, but I have managed to set up a database with 2 tables for personal data of different groups of individuals. I have no idea as to how to start inputting the data, and I haven't been able to find, either in the Help screens or the FAQ, any advice as to how to do it. I am the proud owner of "PHP & MySQL FOR DUMMIES", with all sorts of scripts etc, but I cannot make the mental connection between the book and reality! Help please!

Originally posted by Swintastic1 View Post
    G'day all:

I am a complete beginner at MySQL, but I have managed to set up a database with 2 tables for personal data of different groups of individuals. I have no idea as to how to start inputting the data, and I haven't been able to find, either in the Help screens or the FAQ, any advice as to how to do it. I am the proud owner of "PHP & MySQL FOR DUMMIES", with all sorts of scripts etc, but I cannot make the mental connection between the book and reality! Help please!
    Hi !

Welcome to Eukhost community forums

You can either have the user data imported into your database using the inbuilt PHPMyAdmin web administration tool for MySQL or by using any 3rd party tools, such as MySQLAdmin, Navicat for MySQL, SQLAdmin etc.

Let us know if you need any further assistance into this.. Standing by to assist
    Rock _a.k.a._ Jack Daniel

Follow eUKhost on Twitter || Join eUKhost Community on Facebook

Comment

Thanks for the quick response! BUT (there's always a BUT) where do I find the tool? I haven't looked yet, so it may be easy, but I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response! BUT (there's always a BUT) where do I find the tool? I haven't looked yet, so it may be easy, but I'm not holding my breath.
        You can download them from here :
        MySQL :: MySQL GUI Tools Bundle: Archived Downloads ( click me )
        http://sql-front.gridstar.net/SQL-Front_Setup.exe
        Rock _a.k.a._ Jack Daniel

Follow eUKhost on Twitter || Join eUKhost Community on Facebook

Comment

Tables and data in MySQL

Thanks to Rock for the advice last week and my aplogoy for the delay in responding. My first problem is in fact with setting up a table (I need 2 tables in my database). I have had a Livechat session but with no useful outcome. When I open the set-up page, it shows a series of boxes for each field asking for input and they are confusing me.

My first field in both tables will be Surname. The info boxes are:

Type. For Surname Type = text. That seems simple.

Length/values. Length of surname = (say) 20. Simple.

Default. What does this mean? Is None correct for a variable text field?

Collation. What does this mean?

Attributes. Ditto.

Null. Ditto.

Index. Does Primary mean Primary Key? If not, how do I select a PK? What do the other tags mean?

A_I. ???????????????

Comments. Don't ask.

After the first 2 above, I don't know what to do! Can I leave them all blank? How do I select a Primary Key?

In addition to more text fields, there will be other fields that contain numbers (eg house number as an Integer or dates). The same questions as above repeat.

In other databases (Lotus Approach, M$ Access, OO base) data entry can be achieved by direct input into a table. Can this be done in MySQL? If not is there a standard code block for data entry, and can the table be seen on the screen?

I have not been able to find the Idiot's Guide. Where is it? The tutorials recommended by the Help team don't help me.

Sorry to be a pain.

Comment

For text fields.. keep attributes like..

-----------------------------------------------
            Default : keep it blank unless you need any default value
            Collation : Keep it default (default is latin1_general_ci)
            Attributes : Unsigned or keep blank
            Null : keep blank. Null if value only for some records.
            Extra : keep blank. Auto Incremet in case of numeric field and need to aumatcialy increment with each new record
            Index: Primary mean Primary Key. unique non-nullable index named PRIMARY
            -----------------------------------------------

Comment

G'day all:

My grateful thanks to Nelson for his input today. This is the first positive help which has made any sense to me. I can now try to put a table together with some idea of what I'm doing. Wish me luck. I have no doubt that I will be back with another problem before long.

Comment

Hi Swintastic1, I don't know about the MySQL. In this thread rock give good guide to you. & thanks Rock. From this thread i know some information through you. I know about the SQL...

Chevy Pickup trucks for sale | Rvs for sale | Rvs for sale

Comment

ban-img
                Working...
                X