Upgading mySQL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgading mySQL

One of my Drupal modules ('Views2' if you're familiar with drupal) was returning an SQL error today when I tried to set-up a new view. I checked on the forum and someone there managed to replicate my view without error.

So I went back over to my old shared hosting account on another host, where I have a virtually unchanged copy of my current eukhost website, and tried the view there, and it also worked no problem. So, is it likely to a bug between the Views script and my eukhost version of mySQL?

I don't have much chance of getting the Views developers to fix a particular bug to work with a particular version of mySQL. So it is probably easier for me just to upgrade mySQL.

The two accounts are running different versions of software:

My old webhost is running 'cpanel 11.24.4-CURRENT' with 'MySQL 5.0.77-community'.

My eukhost account *was* running 'cpanel 11.24.4-STABLE' with 'MySQL 5.0.67-community'

I used the WHM upgrade tool to upgrade to 'cpanel 11.24.4-RELEASE' hoping that mySQL would be upgraded too, but it wasn't upgraded.

So my choice is to try upgrading to 'cpanel current' and hope that the package contains the newer version of mySQL. But is 'current' generally ok to run? Would it definitely upgrade mySQL for me?

OR, is there a way to upgrade mySQL by itself, whilst leaving WHM/cpanel at 'current'?

Thanks for any advice.

Hi,

Are you sure updating the MySQL version will fix the issue?

MySQL can be upgraded via WHM, also needs some commands to be run from SSH to complete the update.

MySQL can be upgraded via WHM >> Tweak Security option.

There it will show an information note as:

MySQL Version to use (you must run Software/Update Server Software (or /scripts/mysqlup) for this to take effect. You should then run buildapache/easyapache after changing this option. You may also need to run /scripts/perlinstaller --force Bundle:: DBD::mysql. Updating from a previous version of MySQL to a later version is not automatically reversable. You should backup your databases if you think you might wish to downgrade in the future.

Please be advised you will only see an update in MySQL version on your server, if at all a new stable version of MySQL is available on cPanel servers.

Note: By default we set all WHM versions on a STABLE build.

If you posted the exact error we could have provided with a much appropriate fix.

A Note of caution: Please contact the Support department via Live chat or Email if you are unsure on the upgrade process.

Sales: 0800 862 0380 || Skype: jenniferkent_uk

Comment

> Are you sure updating the MySQL version will fix the issue?

I probably am too fast in assuming a difference in server set-up is causing the issue.
      I'll do some more troubleshooting with the scripts and database.

Thanks for your advice.
      Last edited by -Anti-; 18-04-2009, 17:22.

Comment

Originally posted by -Anti- View Post
        > Are you sure updating the MySQL version will fix the issue?

I probably am too fast in assuming a difference in server set-up is causing the issue.
        I'll do some more troubleshooting with the scripts and and database.

Thanks for your advice.
        Okay.. Happy Troubleshooting

Comment

I got it eventually. A hyphen in a form-field label (hyphens are supposed to be ok) was being passed to SQL in a context which made it baulk. Such a stupid little thing! I was looking for a corrupt database or mis-configured server.

Thank you for dissuading me from upgrading SQL - very smart.

Comment

I got it eventually. A hyphen in a form-field label (hyphens are supposed to be ok) was being passed to SQL in a context which made it baulk. Such a stupid little thing! I was looking for a corrupt database or mis-configured server.
            I am glad that you have managed to sort out the problem.

Thank you for dissuading me from upgrading SQL - very smart.
            You're most welcome!

Comment

I've experienced a similar incident before as well except it was PHP related, I blamed it on the PHP version I was running but it was actually some code on the script I was using that wasn't properly formatted.

It's good that you looked into it, although sometimes an upgrade is indeed required but so far I've only been forced to upgrade if it was a MySQL 5.x script and I was running 4.x.

Comment

Working...
              X