WordPress Hosting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daledavies View Post
    Ive not posted here for a while, got a new job and Ive also been learning all things Wordpress for a new charity website hosting project Ive just finished.

Im quite chuffed with myself really I managed to almost completely get my head around how Wordpress works, resulting in my first totally made from the ground up Wordpress website hosting.

With the all new Wordpress 2.1 installed I found that quite a few of the plugins I had previously used now are now broken and some are no longer needed. Most of the broken plugins I managed to replace quite easily, however I found it hard to find a gallery plugin that works.

I found one in the end though, so I thought I would tell you lucky lot about it. I think its unfortunate that its the last one I thought about trying because of its name, Lazyest Gallery. But aside from that its the best one Ive tried, my previous favourite ANIga took one look at look at Wordpress 2.1 and fainted. Plus when used with the Lightbox 2 plugin Lazyest Gallery looks very good indeed.

However I did find one problem with Wordpress 2.1 that really bugs me because I cant find a solution that works, the WYSIWYG editor it uses (TinyMCE) doesnt show up in some installations of Firefox and croaks at IE. I fixed the problem for IE by using a solution I found all over the place but Ive tried almost everything I can find and nothing fixes it for Firefox. Whats most annoying is that it works on my machine but not on others, so Im finding it really hard to test solutions as I have to be using someone elses computer.

Never mind, I hope somebody finds Lazyest Gallery handy it certainly helped me out. I just thought I would pop by and say hello anyways as Ive been in hiding for a while.

Hi DaleDavies,

I have seen this problem and found a solution here www. dracolich.com/?p=27 - let me know if it helps you?

Regards

Stuart
    Read about my . The name of my website is .

Comment

Thanks, I will try this out tomorrow in work as everything works fine on my machine

Act honestly, and answer boldly

Abundance is from activity
      Starting the work is two thirds of it

Comment

I didnt actually get round to trying that solution in the end, I discovered the excellent Deans FCKEditor at www. deanlee.cn/wordpress/fckeditor-for-wordpress-plugin, the new release of v1.2 replaces the default wordpress image manager and works perfectly with Wordpress 2.1.

Overall I think FCKEditor seems much better than TinyMCE. Well its got a lot more options much like using word, and it seems to intregrate seamlessly into Wordpress 2.1 so it wins hands down for me, I've never been able to work out why the default Wordpress editor is so limited.

I also found two very good plugins for those who want to use Wordpress as a CMS for their clients. Both by the same developer, theres the Barun Singh Custom Admin Menu at
        http:// barunsingh.com/software/custom-admin-menu plugin that allows you to totally customise the arrangement of the admin menu as well as renaming the menu tabs, like changing Lazyest Gallery to Gallery Manager! When used in conjunction with the Role Manager
        http:// redalt.com/wiki/Role+Manager plugin you can strip your clients admin panel down to the bare minimum.

The second plugin is the Barunio Style Admin Theme at
        http:// barunsingh.com/software/wp-barunio-administration, designed to work with the Custom Admin Menu (although it will work without) I think it makes the admin panel much easier to work with.

Also the Clutter Free http:// txfx.net/code/wordpress/clutter-free plugin by Mark Jaquith alows users to turn off the options that are presented to them when writing posts and pages. Excellent again if your trying to make a Wordpress into a simple CMS for a client, in fact all you need then is Dashboard Options from
        http:// cjbehm.dyndns.org/wingingit/dashboard-options , which allows you to do whatever the hell you want with the Wordpress Dashboard.

If this actually interests anyone please let me know, as Im considering writing a small tutorial on how to use Wordpress as a CMS.

Comment

I wish you luck to get the resolution.

Comment

That's great to know DaleDavies that you got a great resolution for wordpress plugins. And it would be interesting to read the tutorial on how to use wordpress as a CMS. Aren't there any tutorials available on the web?
            <!-- / message --><!-- controls -->
            Linux: because rebooting is for adding new hardware.
            ||
            || ||

Comment

Wow, that's smashing!!!
              IMO this thread could be tagged as a motivational thread, It's really inspires readers like me to learn new things and keep increasing our knowledge and experience. This thread is really a good example of how to learn new things and to get over obstacles if any to get the final outcome. Well done Daledavies.
              A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
              :yahoo: Join our Affiliate Program for FREE and earn 20% commission on each referral. || Follow Us on || Skype : eukdanny

Comment

Hey thanks guys, its nice to know someone is interested in my ramblings!

Ive spent quite a bit of time researching the best plugins to use in order to make Wordpress function more like a CMS than a blogging application for my clients.

I must say I like Wordpress a lot, again Ive spent quite a bit of time testing out different CMS packages and many seem over complicated and/or I just cant get my head around them. I found it difficult to find an open source CMS that has the right ballance of being powerfull and easy to expand, well supported and easy to use (for both me and and potential clients).

I like the idea of using Wordpress more now I have the ability to completely customise both the external appearence (the website hosting itself) and the admin interface, being able to do this means I can tailor the experience of the admin interface to suit the overall functionality and purpose of the website hosting. As I think Ive probably said in a previous post somewhere, its possible for me to set a client up initially with just a simple website hosting, but then easily expand its functionality if the client feels the need, all without needing to change to a different CMS and with very little effort.

Anyways, I have found a few brief tutorials on the topic of using Wordpress as a CMS, its from reading many of those that I discovered the plugins and techniques I am now using. However, I have found none that provide a more complete solution, so I am going to attempt to create one!
                Last edited by daledavies; 02-03-2007, 18:22.

Comment

All the best for you new project on plugins.
                  A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
                  :yahoo: Join our Affiliate Program for FREE and earn 20% commission on each referral. || Follow Us on || Skype : eukdanny

Comment

I have reopened this thread as the amount of information we have in this thread related to Wordpress hosting is awesome.

I've personally done good amount of research on Wordpress hosting and I have list of some of the most important plugins and themes which help you to make your wordpress blog much better than most of the CMS scripts.

Here's a list of all the plugins which we have for eUKhost Blog :-

All in One SEO Pack
                    Dean's Permalinks Migration
                    FeedBurner FeedSmith
                    Google XML Sitemaps
                    Neighbor Post Preview
                    Robots Meta
                    RSS Footer
                    SEO Friendly Images
                    Social Bookmarking RELOADED
                    Spam Karma 2
                    Top 10 posts, Views per post
                    Wordpress Automatic Upgrade

If you need direct download link for any of these plugins then let me know.

All these plugins will help you to make a perfect blog.
                    eUKhost - eNlight Cloud Hosting || eUKhost Knowledgebase
                    Toll Free : 0808 262 0255 || Skype : mark_ducadi

Comment

Mark, thanks for sharing those plugins, all of them are very useful, I am in need of wordpress automatic plugin, it would be good help if you share the link to download the plugin.

Comment

You can download all these plugins from http://blog.eukhost.com/wp-content/plugins.tar.gz
                        eUKhost - eNlight Cloud Hosting || eUKhost Knowledgebase
                        Toll Free : 0808 262 0255 || Skype : mark_ducadi

Comment

Originally posted by eUKhost.com View Post
                          You can download all these plugins from http://blog.eukhost.com/wp-content/plugins.tar.gz
                          Thanks for the link.

Comment

Working...
                          X