Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHP Web Hosting

For CGI/PERL script issues

1. Upload all CGI/Perl files in the ‘cgi-bin’ directory, which is in the ‘public_html’ directory.2. Check Permissions for “cgi-bin” directory. (It should be 755)
    3. Check Permissions for all the cgi/perl files. (It should be 755)
    4. Make sure that files are uploaded in ASCII format. If uploaded through
    File Manager then there is no such issue of upload file format.
    5. Check the PERL interpreter path. It should be !#/usr/bin/perl
    6. Check the path of sendmail (if used). It should be /usr/sbin/sendmail
    For PHP issue :
    1. If page is not getting loaded, make sure that the include path is correct in clients code or may be he is using fsockopen() function, which can cause problems.
    2. If the issue is with PHP-MySQL, then you can confirm the database name, username and password that client is using in his configuration file. You can confirm that info with the SQL Server database section in Control Panel.

Fast CGI

FastCGI is a language independent, scalable, open extension to CGI that provides high performance without the limitations of server specific APIs. This standard was developed to address some shortcomings of the CGI protocol. The main improvement is that a single spawned process can process more than one request. There is an Apache module that implements the Fast CGI protocol and libraries for Tcl, Perl etc.

suPHP

suPHP is a tool for executing PHP scripts with the permissions of their owners. It consists of an Apache module (mod_suphp) and a setuid root binary (suphp) that is called by the Apache module to change the uid of the process executing the PHP interpreter.
    It provides security, because the PHP scripts are not run with the rights of the webserver’s user. In addition to that you probably won’t have to use PHP’s “safe mode”, which applies many restrictions on the scripts.
    suPHP can be used with Apache 1.3 & 2.0 module.

PHP file without .php extension

Add the following code in .htaccess file to run php files without .php extension.
    AddHandler server-parsed .php
    SetHandler application/x-httpd-php
    AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .php
    OR
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteRule ^[^.]+$ - [T=application/x-httpd-php,L]

PEAR - PHP Extension and Application Repository

PEAR - PHP Extension and Application Repository is a framework and distribution system for reusable PHP components. The purpose of PEAR is to provide a structured library of open-sourced code & a system for code distribution and package maintenance for PHP users.
    The code in PEAR is partitioned in “packages”. Each package is a separate project with its own development team, version number, release cycle, documentation and a defined relation to other packages (including dependencies). Packages are distributed as gzipped tar files with a description file inside, and installed on your local system using the PEAR installer. All PEAR packages are registered in and uploaded to a central database available at pear.php.net. Open-sourced third-party packages may also be registered and uploaded. Closed-source packages may be installed by the PEAR installer, but the PEAR database is for open-source code only.

PECL

PECL (pronounced “pickle”) used to be a sub-repository of PEAR for C extensions “* la” those distributed with PHP 4, in fact, having somewhere to move extensions to from PHP was one of the motivations when creating PECL. Extensions in PECL follow PHP’s coding standards rather than PEAR’s, but they are distributed and installed as PEAR packages.

Gtk

Gtk packages are packages that provide software which uses the technology of the PHP-GTK project. Code in this sub-repository follows PEAR’s coding standards.

Pear Package Information: Caching & Console

Cache:
    Framework for caching of arbitrary data.
    With the PEAR Cache you can cache the result of certain function calls, as well as the output of a whole script run or share data between applications.

Cache_Lite:
    Fast and Safe little cache system
    This package is a little cache system optimized for file containers. It is fast and safe (because it uses file locking and/or anti-corruption tests).

Console_Color:
    This Class allows you to easily use ANSI console colors in your application.
    You can use Console_Color::convert to transform colorcodes like %r into ANSI control codes. print Console_Color::convert(”%rHello World!%n”); would print “Hello World” in red, for example.

Console_Getargs:
    A command-line arguments parser
    The Console_Getargs package implements a Command Line arguments and parameters parser for your CLI applications. It performs some basic arguments validation and automatically creates a formatted help text, based on the given configuration.

Console_Getopt:
    Command-line option parser
    This is a PHP implementation of “getopt” supporting both short and long options.

Console_ProgressBar:
    This class provides you with an easy-to-use interface to progress bars.
    The class allows you to display progress bars in your terminal. You can use this for displaying the status of downloads or other tasks that take some time.

Console_Table:
    Class that makes it easy to build console style tables
    Provides methods such as addRow(), insertRow(), addCol() etc. to build console tables with or without headers.

System_Command:
    PEAR::System_Command is a commandline execution interface.
    Running functions from the commandline can be risky if the proper precautions are not taken to escape the shell arguments and reaping the exit status properly. This class provides a formal interface to both, so that you can run a system command as comfortably as you would run a php function, with full pear error handling as results on failure.

Goodluck!

which PEAR packages

how can i see which PEAR packages are installed on the server?
    i would be very grateful for your advice.

Comment

I believe simply running the phpinfo(); command will provide a list of all of the installed modules and packages.

Create a PHP file named phpinfo.php. Open it in any text editor and enter:
      < ?php phpinfo(); ? >

remove space after < and before >

Before saving the file. Then navigate to the file through your web browser and the file will list the information.

Comment

no phpinfo () does not list installed pear libraries

Comment

Hosting PHP applications on a server requires a careful and constant attention to deal with these security risks. There are advanced protection patches such as Suhosin and Hardening-Patch, especially designed for web hosting environments.

Comment

I have been using Hostgator (yes get it almost free using the guide below) and they have the best customer service compared to many other host I have tried in the past 6 years and 10 months.

Comment

Re: PHP Web Hosting

Looking ahead to configure CGI on a shared server. I just hope that this will work.
              VPS | Dedicated

Comment

Hello Ganddy,

Yes, it is absolutely possible to configure the CGI on the Shared Hosting server as I have also configured it on my shared hosting account with eUKhost. You can simply your hosting provider to help or guide you with the configuration of CGI.

Comment

Originally posted by ganddy View Post
                  Looking ahead to configure CGI on a shared server. I just hope that this will work.
                  Hello Ganddy,

I would like to know which CGI Script do you wish to configure on your shared hosting server so that I will be able to help you with the procedure right here or else you can simply initiate the chat from our website into the Linux Technical Support department and ask one of our tech admins to guide or advice you on this.

Thanks and Regards,
                  Rossie

Comment

ban-img
                  Working...
                  X