Ruby on Rails forum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruby on Rails forum

Its time for everyone to look at Ruby on Rails now. We can no longer stay untouched by this wave created by RoR. cPanel has included everything that one needs to deploy Ruby on Rails applications and you get more than 2000 Gems to install from cPanel.

Now you can install Gems from control panel like perl and php pear modules. I hope this section of our forum helps webmasters to gain expertise in Ruby on Rails Development.
    eUKhost - eNlight Cloud Hosting || eUKhost Knowledgebase
    Toll Free : 0808 262 0255 || Skype : mark_ducadi

Cool. I think it is a great idea to dedicate a part of the forum to this.

I have seen it in control panel but have never been quite sure how to do things / what to use it for.

I'm glad there is this part of the forum now so I can ask specific questions about it and get help on it .
    David Smith
    Managing Director
    DPS Computing Limited

- Massive update! (September 2011) - It's now not neglected!!
    - New Site (10/2009)

Comment

Stupid question, but can someone summaries what Ruby on Rails is? I keep thinking of trains and mining when I hear of it, though I gather it's some type of coding language. Can anyone recommend some website hostings for examples of it's useage and further reading?
      To err is human, but to really screw up you need a computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Eidolon View Post
        Stupid question, but can someone summaries what Ruby on Rails is? I keep thinking of trains and mining when I hear of it, though I gather it's some type of coding language. Can anyone recommend some website hostings for examples of it's useage and further reading?
        Have a look on this;

http://blog.eukhost.com/2006/09/30/ruby-on-rails/
        You can find there few link as well through comments which might be useful for further reading.

Comment

I would suggest you to look at www.rubyonrails.org

They have managed to establish very well in last couple of months. Ruby on Rails is much more flexible than php and I am not afraid to compare it with Perl.

Comment

Are there plans to have RoR available on all shared servers? - It's just I am informed that I would have to change server to have access to it! (Which support said wouldn't be a problem ). However if its due to be installed on all shared servers it would be pointless making more work for support and getting it transferred.

Thank you in advance!
            David Smith
            Managing Director
            DPS Computing Limited

- New Site (10/2009)

Comment

as per my knowledge we have enabled RoR on most of the shared servers. If its not there on some of the servers then you can have our support team to install it as it is officially included by cPanel now like perl scripts and php modules.

Comment

Apparently not available on a few of them but quite a few servers have it installed .
                David Smith
                Managing Director
                DPS Computing Limited

- New Site (10/2009)

Comment

Originally posted by DPS Computing View Post
                  Apparently not available on a few of them but quite a few servers have it installed .
                  I'll have someone to go through all servers and install RoR on those which are missing it.

Comment

Originally posted by eukhost.com View Post
                    I'll have someone to go through all servers and install RoR on those which are missing it.
                    Cool, seems like a good idea - RoR seems to have a lot of potential!
                    David Smith
                    Managing Director
                    DPS Computing Limited

- New Site (10/2009)

Comment

Shebang

Can anyone tell me what the Shebang is for EUKhost?

I've tried

#!/usr/bin/env ruby

And can anyone help me with a very simple program to make sure I understand how the system works.

I just want ot print out 'hello'

So that should be?

puts 'hello'

Yes?

So I create a ruby program

#!/usr/bin/env ruby
                      puts 'hello'

call it hellothere.rb

upload it

Should it work like that?

Do I need to encapsulate it within an html file

I also tried

#!/usr/bin/env ruby
                      <%= puts 'hello'%>

Also does not work - Server error 500
                      And Error 400 - file not found.

Can anyone help?

Please??

Comment

This is fantastic.

I had been keen to get some ruby on rails stuff going on my shared server but it wasn't available when I signed up. Great job on setting it up Eukhost, I'll have a play with it later when I get a chance.

To the what is RoR questions:

Ruby is an object oriented programming language developed in Japan in the 1990's.
                        Rails is a dynamic web website hosting development framework built in Ruby, supporting things like javascript and a nice object reference model.

Ruby on Rails is the combination of the two, which allows you to develop nice database driven dynamic web sites/applications, starting with solid framework. It's akin to building a php application with a whole load of standardised third party modules that handle all the underlying stuff (like connections to a database) for you, as well as many more things. Only Ruby is a nicer language (IMHO) than php.

As people have said look at the official website hosting for more info, but hopefully this gives you a quick overview. I'm not a very experienced web developer though, so consider that when you read what I have written.

Comment

Thanks for that nice little intro Andrew - it saves searching the official website hosting for it .
                          David Smith
                          Managing Director
                          DPS Computing Limited

- New Site (10/2009)

Comment

Deploying Rails on Eukhost

It's been some time since anyone posted to this forum, so I wondered if there was anyone trying to do what I'm trying to do.

I've been playing around with Ruby on Rails for a while now and would like to see if there are really any valid uses for it. After all the promises are great, that it will be agile and it appears that it would enable someone to produce a basic website hosting application very quickly.

However, I have yet to see one. And yet to figure out how to do it. People tell me their web site hosting is running on Ruby, but when you check it out, ou see little .php or .asp signs that it is not.

So what I wondered is whether anyone using Eukhost servers is running a production version of their website hosting day to day and if they can give me any pointers as to how to get into the production mode.

I know about making sure 'production' database is set up correctly in 'database.yml'
                            I know about running ruby script/server -e production

I even know about uncommenting the variable in Environment.rb to
                            ENV['RAILS_ENV'] ||= 'production'

I have heard mutterings about running the rails app within 'public_html' folder and have tried that too.

But none of my migrations have affected the 'production' database - so I assume I'm not running in 'production'.

Is there anyone who can give me some simple pointers.

Too much of the documentation deals with 'installation', 'gems'(what are they?) and various other elements involved in setting rails up. I assume I don't need to do any of that, as Eukhost have already done it.

But how do I make the best use of what appears a very promising framework?

Help!!

Brian

Comment

Hi Brian,

Deploying RoR applications is still a tricky thing to do, I'm not sure how you would do it on Eukhost shared hosting.

Sounds like you're doing everything right except the actual migration command.
                              The line in environment.rb is only telling the server which environment to run in. This then looks up your /config/environments/production.rb file, which tells it things such as whether or not to use caching.

When you run the migrations are you running it from ssh?

If so you need to specify the environment just before you run the migration, e.g.:
                              (within the applications root directory - not the /app folder, one higher than that)
                              rake environment RAILS_ENV=production db:migrate

Lots of information on migrations here:
                              UsingMigrations in Ruby on Rails

I did have an app working on Eukhost shared hosting, but I no longer have an account here. Hopefully I will again soon as it looks like I may have some new web development work coming in soon. (Outside of my full time job)

I seem to remember there being some useful stuff in Cpanel to control rails apps though, so you may not need to do things in the command line.

For reference I currently have one commercial application in development with work, it's nearly ready to go, but I am only responsible for the programming, someone else organised the host and set up the deployment etc. We're using a VPS Hosting and deploying via capistrano - which is very useful in that situation.

Good luck with your rails apps.

Comment

ban-img
                              Working...
                              X