Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruby Hosting and Mongrel

Hi,

I'm working on developing a ruby based web service and an now looking for somewhere to host it.
    I've been writing it at home with InstantRails (which I'd reccomend as a great place to get started for anyone developing at home on a PC)

It does however use Mongrel, which I know more and more people are moving towards - and is something that dedicated Ruby hosting places are starting to offer. I've seen a few people ask about it here - but quite a few months ago.

Are there any plans for eUKhost to start offering Mongrel instead of FastCGI, it would make it easier (and faster) for myself, and an increaing number of Rails developers

I'll do you a trade - you start to support Mongrel - and I'll write you a 'how-to' article on developing with Ruby and switching between home and hosted development !

let me know

Cheers

Glenn

First of all to the forums Glenn. Well, Ruby on Rails is already installed on our new servers of eUKhost. You just need to confirm about Mongrel. It will be nice if somebody from support department replies here.

Comment

to the forums Glenn.

You could try emailing some of the tech guys on support [at] eukhost [dot] com and see whether theres any possibility on whether you could be accommodated regarding Mongrel
      David Smith
      Managing Director
      DPS Computing Limited

- Massive update! (September 2011) - It's now not neglected!!
      - New Site (10/2009)

Comment

Thanks for the welcome guys,

I've sent an email to support and we'll see what I get back.
        I think Ruby and Rails is going to be increasingly used, so hopefully they'll see the upside of supporting the Mongrel server - which people are moving to more and more I think.
        If my app ever takes off - I'll need Mongrel clusters and other such exciting things - but that's a way off !!

Glenn

Comment

Yeah Mongrel as well as Webrick is already installed on our server.
          Thanks and Regards,
          Alex Parker
          Senior System Administrator.
          Dedicated Hosting || Semi Dedicated Hosting|Disaster Recovery Solutions

EMAIL:alex @ eukhost.com
          MSN: alex @ eukhost.com

Comment

Excellant - that's great - thanks

I think you should advertise that more clearly - and maybe add yourself to this list : http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pa...ebHosts#Europe - as I think I'm not the only one looking for places that support mongrel and not just FastCGI

I actually email/posted to several ISP's asking various Ruby questions, and you guys came back with the quickest, most helpful and most welcoming replies. So on the back of that I've now signed up to eUKhost !

Thanks again

Glenn

Comment

Mongrel was installed on the server I'm on, when I enquired about it. However I haven't had the time to get around to getting it working properly - this is purely down to my own lack of time, whenever I have tried the Eukhost guys have supported my efforts in next to no time (for example, when trying to set up mongrel I had 3 sets of emails exchanged with support in one day - everytime I had a reply in less than an hour).

I don't think Eukhost is on a par with dedicated rails hosts yet, in terms of supporting rails applications on a shared host. Whilst it is possible to do it on Eukhost shared hosting, don't expect everything to be plain sailing.

My feeling is that Eukhost are still learning about it, but one thing I will say though - they all (and especially the tech support people) work really hard to get you going. Since I've been here (a few months back) and a few of us have started badgering them about it, they have added: this forums section, a whole new tool to the control panel, installed ruby and rails onto the root of the servers, activated SSH on some UK servers, transfered people's accounts when requested, and generally done everything they can to get things moving. The support offered is extremely good.

Comment

Working...
              X