Paperclip vs Attachment_fu vs MySQL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paperclip vs Attachment_fu vs MySQL

Has anyone done image uploading in Rails. How did you do that?. Did you use any plugins like PaperClip, attachment_fu?.

I have found that those plugins are limited in the sense that all of them creates separate folder structure for images. My user base is more than 50,000 and its becoming a nightmare to have that many folders.

How did you get around those limitations?. Do you think its wise to store images in MySQL db?
    for sale

Hello,

You can refer following URLs for more information on it.

Image cropping and Upload - Rails Forum - Ruby on Rails Help and Discussion Forum
    Ruby on Rails guides

Regards,
    Nick J.

Comment

Both are equally good plugins. If you're just looking for a simple tool Paperclip is good for you.

Sales: 0800 862 0380 || Skype: jenniferkent_uk

Comment

Hi Jenni

Paperclip is good but for every record it creates a directory with 3 sub directories (thumb, medium etc). Its a real nightmare if you have a reasonably busy site with 50,000 records. Certainly a NO NO. Besides, it just leaves those directories without removing when you delete a record.

I stumbled upon another fantastic plugin called <a href="http://github.com/Squeegy/fleximage/tree/master">Fleximage</a>. It is a plugin that can be used with the above situation.

Upload works OK, deleting works OK, but rendering seem to have problem that it is not taking the :image_directory values. I am just stuck here. Have you used it before?. Any ideas/

I am developing a Craigslist clone that I am planning to release to Open source community. You can have glimpse of it at aigss dot classifieds dot org dot in ( not much ads in there but still worth looking ).

Any help to crack this problem is a great help for me.
        Last edited by unknown888; 15-03-2009, 14:24. Reason: more info
        for sale

Comment

guys, ignore my request. Paperclip itself has a provision to specify a single directory in which all images can be stored and retrieved.
          for sale

Comment

Great! You may also want to search google lots of tutorials available for Paperclip.

How was your experience with Fleximage though?

Sales: 0800 862 0380 || Skype: jenniferkent_uk

Comment

Working...
            X