Google to change algorithm to penalise sites that "overoptimise" on SEO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google to change algorithm to penalise sites that "overoptimise" on SEO

A Google engineer has stated at an interview that a few Google engineers are currently working on improving the algorithm to better detect websites that "overoptimise" in terms of search engine optimisation. The transcript:

What about the people optimizing really hard and doing a lot of SEO. We don’t normally pre-announce changes but there is something we are working in the last few months and hope to release it in the next months or few weeks. We are trying to level the playing field a bit. All those people doing, for lack of a better word, over optimization or overly SEO – versus those making great content and great site. We are trying to make GoogleBot smarter, make our relevance better, and we are also looking for those who abuse it, like too many keywords on a page, or exchange way too many links or go well beyond what you normally expect. We have several engineers on my team working on this right now.
    Overoptimisation can include having way too many hyperlinks to and from your site with other sites than absolutely reasonably normal (link exchanging), too many keywords on a page, and so forth.

Read more: http://searchengineland.com/too-much...or-that-115627

Thanks for the interesting link.
    That sidetracked me (easily done) for quite some time! I ended up following a number of related topics.

Hopefully we'll begin to see sites with smaller headers, less saturated adverts and more relevant content. I'm not holding my breath though and I liked some of the comments about Google themselves being the worst culprits, in their search result pages.
    sigpicManaged osCmax hosting
    (I'm not social )

Comment

Quite interesting link after reading article one thing I've realized the website owners who till date depending on the Google tree will lost the significant portion of the income. Actually, these new updates are just part of the Panda algorithm which is started over a year ago but some of the SEO experts still not able to understand that they are the real target.

IMO, whatever you do to promote your website do it for the users not for search engines that is a really point of marketing but SEO heads always think about only search engines and believe that they are smarter than search engine engineers and able to manipulate search results by applying their own theories.

Comment

Originally posted by Irene9001 View Post
        Quite interesting link … after reading article one thing I've realized … the website owners who till date depending on the Google tree will lost the significant portion of the income. Actually, these new updates are just part of the Panda algorithm which is started over a year ago but some of the SEO experts still not able to understand that they are the real target.

IMO, whatever you do to promote your website do it for the users not for search engines that is a really point of marketing but SEO heads always think about only search engines and believe that they are smarter than search engine engineers and able to manipulate search results by applying their own theories.
        I have to agree - any search engine optimisation, you need to do for your users and not for search engines - and even with the content of your site. If you appeal it to search engines, it'll annoy users - especially ones who know what the annoying keywords and links are for. I've seen sites that do Java tutorials and the content is formatted in a way best for search engines, and not for users - and in my personal opinion it is incredibly annoying.

I hope Google bots become incredibly smart so they penalise sites that do this. Which will mean things are much fairer for every web developer.

Comment

This is why there is so much money to be made in SEO.

Many companies are tricked into thinking that SEO is a one time expense when it is more of a continuing investment.

Basically what happens is:

SEO engineers find a tweak / trick (whatever you want to call it) to get a website ranked higher in Google.

Google eventually discover said tweak / trick.

SEO engineers find new tweak / trick.

Repeat * infinity .
          David Smith
          Managing Director
          DPS Computing Limited

- Massive update! (September 2011) - It's now not neglected!!
          - New Site (10/2009)

Comment

Yes its a never ending game and can make your head explode trying to keep up with ti for sure.

I am just a voluntary moderator here, I do not speak for eUKhost officially!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
              Yes its a never ending game and can make your head explode trying to keep up with ti for sure.
              Yeah, agreed. Hence the reason companies can make tens of thousands a month from clients purely doing SEO .
              David Smith
              Managing Director
              DPS Computing Limited

- New Site (10/2009)

Comment

Originally posted by DPS Computing View Post
                Yeah, agreed. Hence the reason companies can make tens of thousands a month from clients purely doing SEO .
                *head explodes*

Comment

Originally posted by Ben View Post
                  *head explodes*
                  Why has your head exploded? lol.
                  David Smith
                  Managing Director
                  DPS Computing Limited

- New Site (10/2009)

Comment

Why has your head exploded? lol.
                    Because SEO is so head explode inducing .

Comment

Because SEO is so head explode inducing .
                      Well yeah, I guess thats why people pay a lot to have other people have their heads explode roflmao .
                      David Smith
                      Managing Director
                      DPS Computing Limited

- New Site (10/2009)

Comment

Well yeah, I guess thats why people pay a lot to have other people have their heads explode roflmao .
                        . true .

Comment

. true .
                          I would like to be one of those rich head exploders . lol.
                          David Smith
                          Managing Director
                          DPS Computing Limited

- New Site (10/2009)

Comment

I would like to be one of those rich head exploders . lol.
                            You'd have a sore head though .

Comment

You'd have a sore head though .
                              I could cope with that if I was rich .

And the richer I got, the more staff I would employ to share my sore head with . lol.
                              David Smith
                              Managing Director
                              DPS Computing Limited

- New Site (10/2009)

Comment

Working...
                              X