font choice in web design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• font choice in web design

For a font to be properly displayed on a web page, does it have to be installed on that individual's computer or is font display a function of the web browser?

Your website visitor must have that font installed on their computer in order for it to display. That's the reason most fonts used on websites are basic text fonts such as arial, helvetica, and times.

Comment

It's true that it must be installed on user's computer, but browsers could potentially influence anything displayed on a website. It's best to stay on track with the standard web fonts, but you can list your preferred font first. If it isn't found, the second one listed will display, or the third if neither are installed.

Comment

I'd love to use some distinctive fonts. However, point size is an issue. Let's suppose you specify a script as your first choice with the safe, classic text fonts as your other choices. Many of the scripts especially require larger point sizes to be legible. The same point size assigned to a font such as helvetica or times would produce a much larger font than the script.

Comment

You can use external fonts using the @font-face tag in css3,

or

Code:
          <link href='http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Julee' rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'>
          <style>
          			.pad {font-family:'Julee', cursive !important;}
          </style>
          <span class="pad>Use an external font</span> from Google
          David Allen - www.serina.co.uk

Comment

Thank you very much for this. I have used CSS but not CSS3, so I'll need to learn. External fonts seem to be the only safe way to use anything other than the same few.

Comment

I didn't even know that you could use external fonts to make your website look more unique. Thank you so much for the tip.

Comment

This is great information. I've always been afraid to veer too far from the tried and true, but very limited, fonts. I definitely plan to use external fonts on my website now!

Comment

I'm anxious to give external fonts a try. They would be great to use in a text logo where you wanted to use actual text and not a graphic.

Comment

Working...
                  X