Best Open Source Forum Software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Open Source Forum Software

I am planning to start an online forum without investing in the forum software. So, I wanted to know that which open source forum software is best for starting an online forum. Also, what features are different in between vBulletin and other open source forum software?

There are many such open source forum software's available, few of them are

phpBB - Recommended - Included in Softaculous
    bbPress - Included in Softaculous
    Vanilla - Included in Softaculous
    SMF - Included in Softaculous
    miniBB - Included in Softaculous
    MyBB - Included in Softaculous
    punBB - Included in Softaculous
    FluxBB - Included in Softaculous
    Phorum - Included in Softaculous
    UseBB - Included in Softaculous
    XMB - Included in Softaculous
    AEF - Included in Softaculous
    FUDforum - Included in Softaculous
    YetAnotherForum (YAF)
    IceBB
    YaBB
    DeluxeBB
    SEO-Board

Some of them are included in the "Softaculous" we offer with our cPanel Web Hosting plans.

The premium features offered by vBulletin makes them the best forum software to start an online forum.

Comment

I don't really like phpBB. It's got a really complicated administrative panel and I don't want to be spending 30 minutes to understand how to use an admin control panel. If you have a WordPress sie, use bbPress, it's really nice - very simple to install, use and has all the essential features you'd need on a forum.

I last used MyBB back in 2006 or 2007, and my forum was compromised presumably due to a MyBB security vulnerability, so I wouldn't use MyBB personally. If a forum software called XenForo was free I'd wholeheartedly recommend it - it's great. Although it's no cheaper than vBulletin or Invision Power Board. But it's got a simple but feature-rich admin panel and is easy to set up and use. They also have built-in features to help towards compliance with the UK Cookie Law as well.

Comment

using xenforo here too.... awesome.... I too wish it were free or cheaper as would have it on alot more sites.

Comment

If you have Joomla run Kunena forums its easy to use and can also use it with jomsocial and a few other social softwares.

Sent from my Alcatel OT-981A using Tapatalk

I am just a voluntary moderator here, I do not speak for eUKhost officially!

Comment

Originally posted by Welshy View Post
            using xenforo here too.... awesome.... I too wish it were free or cheaper as would have it on alot more sites.
            Well saying that XenForo is still cheaper than vBulletin by $55 USD, but I've always thought the copyright / branding removal is expensive, and turns out it is. For branding removal with a license, XenForo is $25 USD more expensive than vBulletin for a license and brand / copyright removal (XenForo being $390 USD in this case, and vBulletin at $365 USD for the same).

Comment

Kunena is good free forum software, if you are using Joomla 1.7+ its well worth it too.
              Can integrate with Jomsocial etc too.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                Kunena is good free forum software, if you are using Joomla 1.7+ its well worth it too.
                Can integrate with Jomsocial etc too.
                Never tried that before. I've never really used Joomla before to be honest (WordPress + Plugins = Great CMS). Is it like bbPress?

Also I would point out that Yet Another Forum is an open-source C#.NET app for Windows Hosting .

Comment

I've not used bbpress. They are actually doing a new release of Kunena and its looking even bettet with more styles support.

I have a Kunena forum on my site I pm you about a while back.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Stones View Post
                    Never tried that before. I've never really used Joomla before to be honest (WordPress + Plugins = Great CMS). Is it like bbPress?

Also I would point out that Yet Another Forum is an open-source C#.NET app for Windows Hosting .
                    Originally posted by Brian View Post
                    I've not used bbpress. They are actually doing a new release of Kunena and its looking even bettet with more styles support.

I have a Kunena forum on my site I pm you about a while back.

Definitely another vote for Kunena if you're using Joomla. If you want an integrated solution with Joomla or WordPress, use either Kunera for Joomla and bbPress for WordPress. Saying that, XenForo and XenPorta = a great portal and forum in-one.

Comment

Re: Best Open Source Forum Software

Thinking of selling my xenforo license.... purchased 6 June 2012... its great software, just not got the time to do the project I was going too... The software can be transferred 120 days after purchase to your name... I know not at 120 days yet, so willing to give my own login details to manage license then you can transfer to your own name in a months time....

I paid $140 + 20% Vat for the license.... open to offers via PM

Comment

Working...
                      X