Easiest way to allow clients to update parts of their own site?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Easiest way to allow clients to update parts of their own site?

    A client of mine would like to be able to update parts of a website hosting I have recently done for them.

    At the moment, it would appear to be specifically the calendar on this page:-



    Whats the best and easiest way I can have them be able to update that part themselves?.

    Not very familiar with allowing clients to update parts of their website hostings on their own, I was thinking perhaps getting them to use Macromedia Contribute, but I have heard various disaster stories about it?.

    Are there a few more easier ways to go about this?.

    Thanks.

    Gaz.

    Pollock Ross | Highland & Hill Associates | Our Disney Holiday Villa | Smart First Aid Training

    #2
    Originally posted by RSVEcosse View Post
    A client of mine would like to be able to update parts of a website hosting I have recently done for them.

    At the moment, it would appear to be specifically the calendar on this page:-



    Whats the best and easiest way I can have them be able to update that part themselves?.

    Not very familiar with allowing clients to update parts of their website hostings on their own, I was thinking perhaps getting them to use Macromedia Contribute, but I have heard various disaster stories about it?.

    Are there a few more easier ways to go about this?.

    Thanks.

    Gaz.
    Build a CMS or something similar so that the certain pages can run off a database and the clients will have a password protected part of the website hosting where they can add/update stuff which gets sent to the database.

    Comment


      #3
      Is there something within Fantastico which will allow me to do this easily?.

      Total newcomer to databases etc, so I'm really not sure what you mean!!!.

      Pollock Ross | Highland & Hill Associates | Our Disney Holiday Villa | Smart First Aid Training

      Comment


        #4
        Also Adobe contribute CS3 allow webmasters to easily update existing website hostings and blogs, Mac users can also use it.

        Comment


          #5
          I had no idea that I could not implement a CMS into an existing html/css based website hosting.

          I've not got the first clue about php, so I guess I'm stuck!!!.

          With Contribute, can it be used to edit parts of a current website hosting like the one I mentioned, without too much hassle?.

          I assume its just a case of installing Contribute on the clients PC, setting it up and letting them get on with whatever updating they want to do?.

          To be honest, the only updating they will need to be able to do is the text on the Calendar page and probably uploading and adding more pictures and photos to the gallery page.

          I might well just have to suggest they email or call me when they want items updated and I can do it from here ( its not like they will want or need to update it constantly, about once a month would probably be enough ).

          Pollock Ross | Highland & Hill Associates | Our Disney Holiday Villa | Smart First Aid Training

          Comment


            #6
            If you have Dreamweaver then you can have that do all the hard PHP coding for you. As for creating a password protected diretory, you can do that from cPanel. Giving clients Contribute and making them do it themselves is too risky and complicated IMO; they may not know the first thing about editing this and that.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by flesso View Post
              If you have Dreamweaver then you can have that do all the hard PHP coding for you. As for creating a password protected diretory, you can do that from cPanel. Giving clients Contribute and making them do it themselves is too risky and complicated IMO; they may not know the first thing about editing this and that.

              Thanks for that info m8.

              Yes, I have both DW 8 and DW CS3 here installed, its what I have been using for all my website hostings so far, in split design mode.

              Can you explain a bit more what you mean by having Dreamweaver do all the PHP coding for me?. That sounds interesting.

              Pollock Ross | Highland & Hill Associates | Our Disney Holiday Villa | Smart First Aid Training

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by RSVEcosse View Post
                Thanks for that info m8.

                Yes, I have both DW 8 and DW CS3 here installed, its what I have been using for all my website hostings so far, in split design mode.

                Can you explain a bit more what you mean by having Dreamweaver do all the PHP coding for me?. That sounds interesting.
                First off, you will need to create a MySQL database through your cPanel account. Afetr that, set your Dreamweaver website hosting up with a testing server (just enter a bunch of fake stuff) which will then allow you to use the 'application' extension on the right hand panel of the program. You will first off need to create a connection to the database, Dreamweaver will do this for you, you just need to have all the necessary stuff like address of the server, database name and database login details. If you enter that stuff Dreamweaver will create a connection string file and automatically include it in the page you want (calendar page in your case). You will then need to create a recordset with Dreamweaver, then once that has been created you will be able to create forms, and then use the 'Server Components' section of the application part to create the code which will add the stuff do the database. Dreamweaver will also code you other stuff like updating a database, deleting database records and even build you a user authentication system.

                If you want even more functionality you can by the Adobe CS3 Developer Toolbox for DW CS3 which has even more advanved features.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Thanks for the info again. Appreciate it.

                  Will look into this and post back with further questions ( probably!!! ).

                  Pollock Ross | Highland & Hill Associates | Our Disney Holiday Villa | Smart First Aid Training

                  Comment


                    #10
                    As a newcomer you may find it easier to install a CMS through fantastico and copy the contents of your current website hosting onto that - it takes a lot of the need for technical knowledge away and can be quite effective as well as look good once you get it up and running. Also you can get things such as extra modules / patches to add even more functionality to them without having to know a great deal technically about the product / databases etc.
                    David Smith
                    Managing Director
                    DPS Computing Limited

                    - Massive update! (September 2011) - It's now not neglected!!
                    - New Site (10/2009)

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Installing a fully blown CMS is just to hard. He will have to go and skin which takes a long time. At least if he used the built in Dreamweaver stuff he has the ability to style it in Dreamweaver.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I coded a CMS a little while ago:

                        Download CMSFire for free. CMSFire is another Content Management System used to manage your website effectively without complications. CMSFire has been designed to be both light-weight, but still have plenty of features and options at the same time.


                        The code is a bit of a mess, but its very light weight and can do the things you need it to.
                        Let me know if you want me to set this up for you and interigate it with any skin/website design you have.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I must be strange then. I find pointing and clicking and answering questions in a CMS far far easier than coding and getting involved in databases.

                          At least with a CMS you know the code has been tested and tested and for the most part works.

                          RE Skinning - this is a piece of cake as with most CMSs there are thousands of ready made skins to choose from - one of them is bound to fit what you want!
                          David Smith
                          Managing Director
                          DPS Computing Limited

                          - Massive update! (September 2011) - It's now not neglected!!
                          - New Site (10/2009)

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Thomas View Post
                            I coded a CMS a little while ago:

                            Download CMSFire for free. CMSFire is another Content Management System used to manage your website effectively without complications. CMSFire has been designed to be both light-weight, but still have plenty of features and options at the same time.


                            The code is a bit of a mess, but its very light weight and can do the things you need it to.
                            Let me know if you want me to set this up for you and interigate it with any skin/website design you have.
                            Would be very interested in any assistance you could afford me m8, thanks very much!!.

                            Pollock Ross | Highland & Hill Associates | Our Disney Holiday Villa | Smart First Aid Training

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by RSVEcosse View Post
                              Would be very interested in any assistance you could afford me m8, thanks very much!!.
                              I have about 2 hours free this morning. Add me on MSN ([email protected]) for a further discussion.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X