Virus infection on your computer may cause a very serious damage and even loss on your business. You can just imagine it may wreck your system registry or your entire computer (with all your receivables data on it!) or all your HTML programs! It will come to total black out screen, it will not boot at all. But that is actually the worse scenario that may happen. Are you going to wait for this worse scenario in your life to happen? I guess NOT, right?
Here are the 10 smart ways that I personally do to protect my computers against viruses, malicious dialers and spywares.
1. If you are using Windows XP, always turn on the firewall.
2. Always run all necessary latest updates & service packs (all windows! including all your programs & software!—keep them updated)
3. Run your anti-virus program everyday (some do it every week) There are many virus programs that you can get for free scanning.
4. Run your anti-spyware/adaware once a week (I run Spybot Search & Destroy & Lavasoft Adware Personal — they are shareware, meaning it’s free!). What I do is that, I run the Lavasoft Adware first, then run the Spybot Search and Destroy (I also run it with immunize tool). These two tools are always on top of my desktop for easy access.
5. Turn on the pop-up blocker this feature is available on Windows XP (you can see this under tools>Internet Options >Privacy>click Block Pop Ups. In addition to this, I also download another pop up blocker, the Google Toolbar. I find their pop up blocker the most effective in blocking pop ups.
6. Never open mails that are suspicious to you or not known to you. If they are in your bulk mail, send it back to your provider as spam! I never enable my bulk mail. I automatically delete emails from my bulk mail.
7. When using messenger (IM) services, be very careful with files being sent through instant messenger. Rather choose to have it emailed it to you. Most of email services now has virus check and clears it if the file has virus or not.
8. Be very careful when downloading files or any programs from the internet, pay attention on the instructions while downloading it. Downloading may sometimes cause error on the system registry or the entire computer system (one example, my nephew got his computer badly infected with viruses because of heavy downloading of games and music! I guess!)
9. Be careful with files that come from a floppy disk or any other external storage when you open it in your CD ROM of floppy drive. You should know its source, or better yet, when you insert it, have it scanned with your anti-virus program before you open the files.
10. Run defragmentation, disk clean up, registry scanner at least once a week. You can find defragmentation by simply pointing your mouse on drive C: (which is usually the hard disk main logical drive)> right click the mouse>click on properties>click on tools>click on defragment now!
There are so many shareware on the internet that you can get for free! (that is the reason it is a shareware!). Keeping your computer healthy can make you more productive (if you have a business!) or it will make you enjoy more surfing and browsing the internet!
If you are considering starting a website and are looking for affordable hosting, visit our cPanel Hosting page.