We’ll learn how to point a subdomain to a different IP address using the WHM control panel in this article. It is typically used by online stores that have a shopping cart.
For example: If “example.com” is your main site hosted on server “ABC” and the shopping cart “shop” is hosted on the server “XYZ”, and if you wish to show example.com is also hosted on the dedicated server “XYZ”, you will need to set up a subdomain pointing to a separate IP address.
Requirements for Setting up a Subdomain to a Different IP Address:
- cPanel Control Panel Access
- WHM Access
- Different IP Address or Hostname
Let us follow the steps:
- Log in to your WHM control panel. In the left pane, under the DNS Functions, click on the Edit DNS Zone option.
- Now, scroll the page and come to the section “Add New Entries Below this Line”. Here we are going to “Add the A Record”. In order to create a new A record, type “shop” in the first box under “Add New Entries Below this Line”. From the dropdown menu select “A” as the record type. Once you select the A record it will show another box in front of the drop-down menu. Enter the IP Address or hostname in order to mask/point it. (See image below)
- Make sure that a subdomain with a similar name doesn’t exist in the user’s account or the mask will not work as it should.
Like this post?
Email us the shared link at: [email protected] or speak to our live chat operator now, by clicking on the “Live Chat” Scroller on the left-hand side of this page to get more information.